Whelen Edge Freedom install

Sta77

Dec 27, 2021
Hi folks

Long time lurker here, hoping I might be able to get some insight on an install I'm trying to do on a used utility my company just purchased from a neighboring company. Unfortunately they had stripped all the warning equipment from the truck when prepping to sell, not knowing we were interested in the vehicle. Fortunately though, they kindly included most of the gear in the sale including a Whelen Edge Freedom bar. Again, unfortunately it has fallen to me to reinstall and attempt to get it all working again. The bar is being particularly troublesome. It is labeled as an fv2RRRR model and has two cables running out of the bar one has what I assume to be the primary power and ground wires (larger AWG) along with a small unshielded wire. The second cable has the same small unshield wire as well as a small green and small gray (white?) wire which I assumed were trigger wires? No matter what I seem to try I can't get the bar to activate. I know it's getting power at the PCB since I measured 12 volts across the terminals and I've checked continuity on the all the wires. A few times I noticed the bar would faintly flash all the heads once when I initially provided power to the main +12v wire but that was all I could get out of it. I feel like I'm missing something simple but just can't figure it out. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Edit: forgot to mention I checked the 4 fuses on the PCB and while none were burned out I replaced them just the same.

Attachments

• 20211213_211507.jpg
    20211213_211507.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 4

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
That if I'm correct are not trigger wires, that sounds like a wecan controlled bar, I will look for the install pdf for the freedom bar and post it.

Here's the freedom II install pdf

Attachments

• 14012.pdf
    367.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 14084.pdf
    784 KB · Views: 4

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
Hi folks

Long time lurker here, hoping I might be able to get some insight on an install I'm trying to do on a used utility my company just purchased from a neighboring company. Unfortunately they had stripped all the warning equipment from the truck when prepping to sell, not knowing we were interested in the vehicle. Fortunately though, they kindly included most of the gear in the sale including a Whelen Edge Freedom bar. Again, unfortunately it has fallen to me to reinstall and attempt to get it all working again. The bar is being particularly troublesome. It is labeled as an fv2RRRR model and has two cables running out of the bar one has what I assume to be the primary power and ground wires (larger AWG) along with a small unshielded wire. The second cable has the same small unshield wire as well as a small green and small gray (white?) wire which I assumed were trigger wires? No matter what I seem to try I can't get the bar to activate. I know it's getting power at the PCB since I measured 12 volts across the terminals and I've checked continuity on the all the wires. A few times I noticed the bar would faintly flash all the heads once when I initially provided power to the main +12v wire but that was all I could get out of it. I feel like I'm missing something simple but just can't figure it out. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Edit: forgot to mention I checked the 4 fuses on the PCB and while none were burned out I replaced them just the same.
Based on your identification of a small pair of green/gray wires, I think you have a "WeCan" bar. These two wires comprise a "CAN bus" interface between the lightbar itself and any controller that can talk to it.
To get it to work, you'll likely have to (at least) get a "WeCan control point" or other WeCan device (i.e. a Sapphire).
Once you have that in place, you can use Whelen's "Command" software to configure things to get your lightbar working.

Hope this helps...

Sta77

Dec 27, 2021
Here's the freedom II install pdf
Based on your identification of a small pair of green/gray wires, I think you have a "WeCan" bar. These two wires comprise a "CAN bus" interface between the lightbar itself and any controller that can talk to it.
To get it to work, you'll likely have to (at least) get a "WeCan control point" or other WeCan device (i.e. a Sapphire).
Once you have that in place, you can use Whelen's "Command" software to configure things to get your lightbar working.

Hope this helps...
Huh, neat. Thanks guys. I had found a few diagrams suggesting such things but no wiring diagrams for exactly this bar, and at a conceptual level I was aware of some bars needing that extra module. I guess I just kind of assumed this one was too old for such things. I'll give their engineer a call in the morning and see if I can rummage through the box of remaining gear in their basement to see what they might have had it hooked up to for control. Otherwise I guess a new control point is in my future.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.