Whelen Edge identification for lens replacement..

TX-LEO

May 24, 2010
San Antonio
This is on my city car and I'm going to try NOVUS ( amazon.com had a kit for 25$ish shipped ) plastic polish to attempt a clean-up on these nasty covers. It's never been serviced in this manner and hopefully I dont break it as one of the end caps has a crack near where the screws are from a local shop I'm sure, putting them on too tight. The sad part is most of the discoloration is on the INSIDE.

If I need new plastic covers on this bar, will I be able to find these and are they the same as the current liberty plastic covers? Even my liberty bar says EDGE, WHELEN 500 on the plastic covers. It doesn't look as bad in these IPHONE photos as it really is, but it looks YELLOW in bright sunlight. I'm pretty sure that since 2003 or so that this bar has been in service the sun has taken its toll on the plastic. The one thing I did notice between my LFL LIberty and this EDGE is the alley lights are totally different.

Lastly, does anyone sell these covers here and, does anyone have any idea what model this bar is?

Any comments, suggestions or general feedback on this is appreciated.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.cop-talk.net/pix/PD/p83bar1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.cop-talk.net/pix/PD/p83bar2.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.cop-talk.net/pix/PD/p83bar3.jpg

TX-LEO

May 24, 2010
San Antonio
txfire said:
That is very reasonable. Standard pricing from a dealer is $120ish area & up!!! HPD is the way to go definitely!!

Yep. Now, If I submit the receipt to my PD, will they reimburse me the cash if I buy it to replace the lenses :?: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TX-LEO

May 24, 2010
San Antonio
I have another question along the same lines as the last one with the photo below:

[Broken External Image]:http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc55/tx-one/096b8aa9.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc55/tx-one/514b0b83.jpg

Is this the same lightbar as the first one? ( PATRIOT ) The LEDs in this one are the GEN-1 small LED lights ( probably 20 per row) and are not the real bright ones like the TIR6 style in the first photo. Can someone tell me which model it is, and a good place to buy some replacement strobe tubes? I would rather not disconnect the mount if I don't have to to get the model number, to order parts and possibly get an LED and lens kit for it to upgrade.

I can provide more photos if someone needs more details. I think this one does NOT have the colored strobe tube covers and are open, like the more modern LED modules. Let me know what you guys think on this one. I got the A-OK to buy some parts.

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
Yep its a Patriot, New corner strobes can be found for about $40 & new inboard strobes can be found for around $25

TX-LEO

May 24, 2010
San Antonio
Squad-6 said:
Yep its a Patriot, New corner strobes can be found for about $40 & new inboard strobes can be found for around $25

The good part is, the inside strobes has been either converted to LED on these bars, or it came this way. The corners are the only strobes.

Is there a part number for the strobe tubes for the outside corners so I can shop around?

Also, I'd be interested in replacing the LEDs with the better ones as in the first photos in the thread.

Uman18

Jun 2, 2010
Port Hueneme, CA
You should be fine with just the bottle of the Novus #2. I use a wool buffing pad on a drill. Just make sure you clean off the lens of any dirt. I just did a set of alley end caps from a Edge Ultra.

74416_1577973241492_1000443774_31625760_982978_n.jpg

TX-LEO

May 24, 2010
San Antonio
Uman18 said:
You should be fine with just the bottle of the Novus #2. I use a wool buffing pad on a drill. Just make sure you clean off the lens of any dirt. I just did a set of alley end caps from a Edge Ultra.

That looks new. I know for sure i need endcaps. The ones on my work car are cracked.

Are you talking about steel-wool on the drill??

Steve-O

May 21, 2010
San Antonio
tx-leo@coptalk.net said:
The good part is, the inside strobes has been either converted to LED on these bars, or it came this way. The corners are the only strobes.

Is there a part number for the strobe tubes for the outside corners so I can shop around?

Also, I'd be interested in replacing the LEDs with the better ones as in the first photos in the thread.

The bars came that way. I remember when we got them. We were excited to be getting LED, only to be let down with that GEN1/Strobe combo bar... I can't believe those bars are still in service. I saw one today... on P-82 I think.

May 22, 2010
Central WV
Uman18 said:

Wow, that's a night and day difference.

TX-LEO

May 24, 2010
San Antonio
I was finally PERMITTED to service the lightbars, at least somewhat. I was not allowed to buy new lenses for no apparent reason. :(

..but I was able to replace a few strobe tubes on these old Patriot bars. I was surprised how long the tubes lasted. I believe the strobes have been out for several months at the least, but the 2006 2007 2008 dates on the strobe tubes is testament to the whelen quality in my opinion. I know some dont really like whelen on here, but its hard to argue with their quality and reliability. I took some pix with my iphone camera.

In the picture below, it's pretty easy to see which strobe tube is new. These bars have taken serious ABUSE by different officers over the years with direct sprays from carwashes, dirt, dust and never being cleaned properly.

This pic is as it was when I opened it up. Nasty in there. The linear lenses are all crusted over with hard water spots, dirt, dust and just gross.

[Broken External Image]:http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc55/tx-one/photo3.jpg

This pic is with the changed strobetube. Pretty obvious which one I replaced. The brightness was literally night/day and it's sad this goes un-noticed by admin, either intentionally or just by lack of knowledge about this stuff. The new strobe is easily TWICE as bright as the other ones that are dirty.

I figured some of the light-geeks would be interested in a few photos of this stuff.

[Broken External Image]:http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc55/tx-one/photo.jpg

Shiney new one!

[Broken External Image]:http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc55/tx-one/photo1.jpg

This last one is the one that still works. GROSS, it hardly reflects at all anymore. You can only see the bulb itself flashing.

[Broken External Image]:http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc55/tx-one/photo2.jpg

look at the dates on these tubes

[Broken External Image]:http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc55/tx-one/photo4.jpg

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Wow that sucks. At least youre getting to work on them. I would reccommend putting the shiny new ones in the front and putting the junky old ones in the rear to increase effectiveness. Will they shine up alittle bit or did the reflective part wear off? I like patriot bars, they have the best of both worlds in them. You should see some of the vehicles our local barracks has, I looked at a cruiser and it was very dirty, and you could barely make out the light heads in the liberty bar they had, it was so glazed and had flies stuck to it. I dont think some of their vehicles have seen soap before. They do have a nice light package though. Those lenses should clean up nicely though! I am wondering, do you have secondary lights, it must be hard getting people to stop if they cant make out the flashing lights.

TX-LEO

May 24, 2010
San Antonio
theroofable said:
Wow that sucks. At least youre getting to work on them. I would reccommend putting the shiny new ones in the front and putting the junky old ones in the rear to increase effectiveness. Will they shine up alittle bit or did the reflective part wear off? I like patriot bars, they have the best of both worlds in them. You should see some of the vehicles our local barracks has, I looked at a cruiser and it was very dirty, and you could barely make out the light heads in the liberty bar they had, it was so glazed and had flies stuck to it. I dont think some of their vehicles have seen soap before. They do have a nice light package though. Those lenses should clean up nicely though! I am wondering, do you have secondary lights, it must be hard getting people to stop if they cant make out the flashing lights.

I only had to replace one strobe in three cars as they were burned out. They wont let me replace them just to do it. I tried to get them to replace the lens covers, but no go.

There are gril lights too, but yes, in general we don't get seen as well as we should, if I could simply do some maintenance.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
So you only bought one strobe? How much did that cost you? Mabye you could convince them that you cant actually see the strobe flashing. Hopefully theyll burn out soon so you can get new ones put in there because those reflectors are garbage.

TX-LEO

May 24, 2010
San Antonio
theroofable said:
So you only bought one strobe? How much did that cost you? Mabye you could convince them that you cant actually see the strobe flashing. Hopefully theyll burn out soon so you can get new ones put in there because those reflectors are garbage.

There was only one strobe out in that bar. The strobes were around 45$ I think, I can't remember now. Unfortunately, what I'm saying to admin is not getting through. Oh well, nothing I can do about it. . I wanted to replace the lenses on three cars, plus end-caps on a few other ones, but no go.

I'm going to take apart my bar and try to clean up the lens, if not I may just replace them myself and eat the cost. The first three pictures in this thread is the bar on my car that I drive at work. I'm not sure I like the red filters anyways. Seems to cut back the light output.

Last edited by a moderator:

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Did you polish them yet? Your bar doesnt have any red filters, unless your talking about the other bar. Do you guys have a small budget, or do they just not feel like spending any money? Strange that they cant spend 100 to fix a primary piece of equipment...

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
theroofable said:
Did you polish them yet? Your bar doesnt have any red filters, unless your talking about the other bar. Do you guys have a small budget, or do they just not feel like spending any money? Strange that they cant spend 100 to fix a primary piece of equipment...

I know many places have an unwritten "if it still technically works, don't replace it" policy

TX-LEO

May 24, 2010
San Antonio
theroofable said:

No i Havent touched the first bar in the first set of pictures. It was for reference only. The red filters are in the end, over the strobes, on the inside of the lens.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
tx-leo@coptalk.net said:
No i Havent touched the first bar in the first set of pictures. It was for reference only. The red filters are in the end, over the strobes, on the inside of the lens.

Never heard of such an option...... I don't think that ever was offered from whelen. I could be wrong, not a huge expert on the lfl series

TX-LEO

May 24, 2010
San Antonio
JohnMarcson said:
Never heard of such an option...... I don't think that ever was offered from whelen. I could be wrong, not a huge expert on the lfl series

Interesting. Well, Im slightly inaccurate in the description. The red covers are actually over the strobe tubes themselves, not attached to the outside lenses.

When I take it apart, I will post some photos in this thread to update it.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
I've seen those filters too on some of the MN State Patrol LFLs. Not sure I'm sold on it, it seemed to dull the flash quite a bit on the cars I saw this summer while in the Cities for a LEO funeral.

TX-LEO

May 24, 2010
San Antonio

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
I never knew there was a corner strobe filter. That's really cool imo.

I know many places have an unwritten "if it still technically works, don't replace it" policy. That is my department, it is a subsection of "if you push the gas & it moves, push the brake & it slows down it doesn't need any servicing" policy.

TX-LEO

May 24, 2010
San Antonio
I need to look at the newer strobetubes I got, closer. I never noticed the slots in the side of the tube plastic that permit the filter to be inserted into. Curious if it's on the new ones I got last week.

I got a new/used end-cap set for that bar, and I cleaned up the front of it today a bit. It didn't quite get all the smudge off of them using the plastix goo. It may simply need more buffing is all. I need to buy a wheel for my drill!!! I went after it with a 50/50 distilled and vinegar to clean them off, which make quick work of the bug juice on them. I think I need something a little -rough- to clean the lenses off with but afraid to scratch the hell out of them worse than they already are. I forgot to hit the NAPA store and look for the wool that was mentioned earlier.

I think with the new endcaps and more elbow grease, the bar will look like new again soon. I'll post more later.

TX-LEO

May 24, 2010
San Antonio
Nothing like ressurecting an old thread from the dead, from 2010.

With new admin around here, I may be able to finally upgrade these lens covers and old gen-1 LED's to the TIR6 style on these light bars if we plan on keeping them.

Is the conversion from the older style LED to the TIR6 version a drop-in replacement on these or do I need to make new connectors, if anyone knows?

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
TX-LEO said:
Nothing like ressurecting an old thread from the dead, from 2010.

With new admin around here, I may be able to finally upgrade these lens covers and old gen-1 LED's to the TIR6 style on these light bars if we plan on keeping them.

Is the conversion from the older style LED to the TIR6 version a drop-in replacement on these or do I need to make new connectors, if anyone knows?

Should be drop in.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
MEVS06 said:
Should be drop in.

+1

Connectors should be the same. I have not read through the whole thread, but so long as all are Passive and not Ballast, yes, connectors and the lightheads should be swap and play!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.