Whelen edge lens cutting

wolfman

May 21, 2010
Scranton, PA
Prof installers --- what type of jig or device/saw do you use for cutting Whelen Edge lenses? I built my own jig a while back using 2x4 wood & use a fine-tooth blade hacksaw for getting a nice straight cut. I've been doing more and more, though, and would like to upgrade to some type of electric saw. What types are you using (miter saw, chop saw, etc), and what type of blades are you using to get a nice flat finish on the lenses? I'd like to incorporate some measuring tape or device into it, also, while I'm building it out. I'm even wondering if there is something I can just purchase from a third party that would do the job.

Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance!

wolfman

wolfman

May 21, 2010
Scranton, PA
What type of blade for that saw are you using? I have something similar, but I thought it would be too fast for cutting lens as the blade would heat up too much and start melting it.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
FWIW, a lot of hobby shops carry smaller miter boxes from brands like Exacto, and smaller backsaws and coping saws that I've used to cut up Jetstream filters. It'd be a little extreme, but a lapidary saw should go thru them like a laser.

TVFD39

May 25, 2010
Addison, NY
I use a craftsman chop saw and works great...I use it with a fine tooth blade like for plywood and plastics and I got the blade from home depot...just a cheapy and works great. Has I think 72 teeth.

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
Is it possible to cut Whelen Edge lenses into smaller pieces without cracking them?

I´m thinking about using for example a hacksaw to try to split up a longer lens into two smaller pieces.

Will it work or will the lens crack and break apart??

Anyone here tried this before??

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Normally Federal, Whelen and other companies used a band-saw to cut lenses when making split lenses or similar.

I should not recommend using a hacksaw to do this.

You need a smooth sawing with as little lost material as possible.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have used my wife's jewelery saw with some success....

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
cromwell said:
I have got a jewelery saw.. have to try with that when I am going to try.

I put mine in a wooden miter box with the so I can keep the cut straight.  I have also had success with other fine tooth saws in the same miter box, or with a sacrificial piece of lens over top as a guide.

Last edited by a moderator:

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I have used a hack saw with no trouble. I found that a brand new blade is best. Also, a blade with a higher number of teeth per inch makes for a much cleaner cut.

However, I have only done vertical cuts. If you are trying to make horizontal cuts to split a lens, then you might not be happy with the edge that a hacksaw leaves.

danh

Jun 1, 2010
Erie,PA
I too have used a hack saw with a fresh blade. I used two bench vices one on each side of the cut to stabalize the lens. Be sure to place folded rags between the vices and the lens to protect the lens.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
jdh said:

A++

Hobby shops will have smaller miter boxes, and Xacto and other companies make razor saws, some with backs, some that are miniature coping saws, just for fine cuts in plastics, metals or resins. Check wherever you local modelers, RC guys and model railroad guys get their stuff. Those guys are the experts on super-clean cuts in these types of materials.

I usually tape cut lines, and on the rare occasion I use a power saw like a bandsaw or a dremel I try to watch the speed and will use water to lube and cool the cut. I don't know if it's strictly necessary or not.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
You can use a sliding top table saw equipped with a back-cut blade where the teeth are actually angled back as the common front angle. With that, cut slow and it's golden. Another alternate is a powered drop band saw that's used to cut metal, which is not common but I had that in my shop and it made very straight cuts.

FedSigFan

May 21, 2010
DFW
If you don't mind slow and steady, I've used a dremel and a cutoff wheel with some pretty good results. It will melt the plastic, so cut it a bit longer than needed then sand. Again, this is the slow and steady method but works in a pinch.

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
Pretty much anything with fine® teeth that will cut straight. I use a band saw...

I also use tape (usually masking) for my lines - just make sure you cut on the correct side of the tape.

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
Honestly? I have been using a chop saw for years, I have a wooden jig with felt hot glued to it to prevent scratching to the inside of the lens and rubber glued to the jaw clamps of the saw to prevent the lens from moving while making the cut. Then only thing I have to do is take the flashing (melted plastic) off of the end of the lens but this takes less than 5 seconds. Nice, STRAIGHT cuts every time. :)

Reactions: Pete L.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
FYI.......

all threads on this merged

Last edited by a moderator:

natep24

Jul 13, 2010
Orleans VT
PC Comms said:
Honestly? I have been using a chop saw for years, I have a wooden jig with felt hot glued to it to prevent scratching to the inside of the lens and rubber glued to the jaw clamps of the saw to prevent the lens from moving while making the cut. Then only thing I have to do is take the flashing (melted plastic) off of the end of the lens but this takes less than 5 seconds. Nice, STRAIGHT cuts every time. :)

i have used the chop saw as well.

lwfpd chief

Aug 9, 2012
Grayville, il
Yes, not too hard. I used a carpenters trim box to keep everything straight. Very fine tooth trim saw and take your time. It's pretty simple and straight forward

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
As stated above, I use a 14" chop saw left over from my welding days. I support

the lens with a wood block made to fit inside the lens (keeps it from flexing).

Just remember, Slow and Easy. Don't rush cutting no matter what method you use.

If you take your time, it'll come out nice and straight.

I try and keep the factory edge of the lens to fit against the endcap.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.