Can anyone tell me more about these ?

<<Whelen SA40 Lo Pro Edge Lightbar Speaker>>

do they work well ?

decent output ?

vibration noise when used ?

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
I would say if you have a better option then take it.

It's loud. It's a 100 watt speaker with nothing mounted in front of it to restrict the sound. The only problem is that it is mounted on a lightbar which is above and/or behind part of the passenger compartment of the vehicle. They've been phased out in most places because of potential for hearing loss plus with all the other things you need to be listening to, do you really want to add the siren to that list? I don't ever remember a vibration problem in any of the vehicles that had them. It's been awhile since I've dealt with one though.

Tunes

Oct 26, 2010
South Africa
It is a very loud speaker and has the least colored sound because of the horn design. It's the most popular in our market as health and safety is a rumour here. Cabin noise can reduced significantly by fitting a 1ft square piece of dynamat to the inside of the roof infront of the bar but it's not that bad anyway. No vibrations while in use but if not fitted right it can cause wind noise at +/- 75mph.

If you use one don't try and clean flys off the front with a jet wash it drowns the driver and the water can't get out.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Tunes said:
If you use one don't try and clean flys off the front with a jet wash it drowns the driver and the water can't get out.

Wouldn't that be solved by drilling a drain hole at the other end? And what about rain?

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
nerdly_dood said:
Wouldn't that be solved by drilling a drain hole at the other end? And what about rain?

There are drain holes for rain/light water, but they aren't designed to handle a pressure washer, as the driver is mounted facing up at the rear of the cone it will collect water quickly with a pressure washer. Then you either take it apart and let it dry before you use it, or replace it with a new one.

cpdchief

May 22, 2010
Madison County, AL
If you have no desire to hear the radio, other passengers, or 5 years later anything at all, then get one. Otherwise, find something else. I had one at my last agency, and had it removed in less than a week. It was shocking to me how loud it was inside the vehicle.

jtf027

May 21, 2010
Memphis, TN
here is my idea. On a parade Fire Engine with 3 sirens, we want 3 speakers, but dont want to totally clutter the bumper with speakers. So I came up with an idea (hence the question)

The problem(s);

1. the separate sirens for separate tones

2. the expense of decent chrome 100w speakers (times 3)

3. the expense of a new bumper if a mistake was made when cutting access slots through the current bumper

4. creating a clean (parade) appearance for the rig

Idea:

Buy 3 Lo-Pro speakers and drill 3 holes in the aluminum plate between the bumper and cab. Then mount the Lo-Pros to the bumper top plate, so that the drivers are suspended into the holes. The low-thin slots for noise distribution would be on top of the bumper facing away from the cab. I could then make a second aluminum cover to go over the top of the speaker "cones" to allow the flat bumper appearance again.

any thoughts, concerns from you guys ? Anything I might not have thought of ?

towlercd

Jun 10, 2010
Potsdam, NY USA
We did something very similar on our rescue using the same speaker to get a third one in, except we mounted it "upside down" with the bell sitting just below the bottom edge of the bumper. It is far enough back that you can't see it unless you get down at that level, keeps the water out of the driver, and still sounds good. It just happened to work out perfect that mounting it to the bottom of the flare bucket (built into the bumper) was just the right height and placement. Will grab some pics if I remember tonight.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
jtf027 said:
here is my idea. On a parade Fire Engine with 3 sirens

I can't help asking, why 3 sirens on a parade truck? Around here the parade organizers are pretty firm that sirens and airhorns won't be tolerated, those who make a lot of noise are banned from the parade the following year.

jtf027

May 21, 2010
Memphis, TN
people dont really care about the sirens here..... its a small group of communities.....

3 sirens is for unusual tones......

1)Galls with Street Thunder

2)Powercall tones

3)true European tones

NPS Ranger said:
I can't help asking, why 3 sirens on a parade truck? Around here the parade organizers are pretty firm that sirens and airhorns won't be tolerated, those who make a lot of noise are banned from the parade the following year.

May 31, 2010
Aurora, Coloado
your inbox is full and is not taking messages. Please get back with me on the Green Axixtech heads you asked about.

Thanks

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.