Whelen Edge quit working when I replaced lenses

DocMiller

Sep 12, 2021
Sandyston, NJ
I received an edge 9000 from a friend, it was all red lens and in NJ I can only have blue as a firefighter. I tested the light when I first got it by powering up the red wire and grounding the black wire. All the strobes worked. I also grounded the white/black wire and connected switched power to the green wire for left alley, yellow wire for right alley and the red wire for the take downs, everything worked as they should........all I did was switch out the left alley socket because it looked nasty and replaced the red lens with blue, now only take down and alley lights work, no strobes will function, and I don't know where to start with testing the power supply as it is a sealed unit.

light bar in a 9006, serial# 212428. module is an SL6. light bar has 6 strobes and a director bar, although I wasn't going to worry about that part.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I tried searching past forum posts but was unable to find anything matching my issue.

Attachments

• 20210912_202612.jpg
    20210912_202612.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Take the lenses off and look at the left alley socket area first. Did you accidentally disconnect a ground wire for the power supply there? Check elsewhere in the bar to ensure ground connections are tight. That is my first inkling as to your issues.

Reactions: firefighter22

DocMiller

Sep 12, 2021
Sandyston, NJ
Take the lenses off and look at the left alley socket area first. Did you accidentally disconnect a ground wire for the power supply there? Check elsewhere in the bar to ensure ground connections are tight. That is my first inkling as to your issues.
I checked all the connections and even tried plugging the original alley socket back in

Reactions: firefighter22

DocMiller

Sep 12, 2021
Sandyston, NJ
Those power supplies had an inline fuse on the red wire a couple of inches out from
the power supply itself. Sometimes the I/O board had fuses on them also.
I checked the fuse and it wasn't popped, I also verified that there was power on both sides of the fuse with a test light

DocMiller

Sep 12, 2021
Sandyston, NJ
My POV, 96 Bronco with 5.8L police package. Was once a Texas Rangers vehicle that I bought off an auction site, Didn't have any rust until it spent a few winters here in NJ

Attachments

• 228713880_4189585404451008_8923049579604670372_n.jpg
    228713880_4189585404451008_8923049579604670372_n.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: firebuff17

DocMiller

Sep 12, 2021
Sandyston, NJ
I have checked and re checked every connection and ground.......totally befuddled, and very disappointed. I was going to save money and buy an LED light bar, but thought the truck would look better with a light bar that was from the same time period as the truck, sigh

DocMiller

Sep 12, 2021
Sandyston, NJ
nothing is ever free I guess, I already have over $100 invested in new lenses and a new alley light, not to mention the mounting hardware I just ordered

DocMiller

Sep 12, 2021
Sandyston, NJ
Since you have power going to the power supply, it has to be a bad ground
OR your power supply took its last breath. You can still find those SL6 supplies floating around.
Is there a way to test the power supply to confirm it, or (Bones to Captain Kirk: "It's Dead Jim")

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
The only way to test the supply is to power it up (since you seem to have it out of the bar)
Hook up your strobe heads- the three 6 pin connectors.
Put 12volts to the red wire, ground the black.
Put 12 volts to the green and or blue wire to control pairs of strobes.
Violet controls high/low power for the strobes.
The white and brown wire control flash patterns.
Comet flash is the default pattern. 12v to the brown wire is double flash.
12v to the white wire is random flash. 12v to to both the brown and white wire
is sequential flash (my favorite)

Jun 18, 2013
PA
It's possible it just gave up the ghost. I can look through my stuff to see if I have anything left over from my time dealing with the Franken Edges. There might be a part# somewhere on that powersupply and you can try asking around to see if anyone has it.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
Question, what are you using to power the bar? I did not read what you were using. Can you power the supply with a good known 12v battery? The supply's need a good regulated 12v power.

being an SL 6 they are very easy to test, unplug it from the bar and all you need to power it is the black to neg and red to positive and all 6 outputs will fire, if that doesnt work and the fuse is good then the supply has died.
be sure you have good solid connections at the vehicle and wires are sized appropriately. these bars need good solid power to them otherwise it will fry power supplies too

we have thousands of parts for these in stock too

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.