Whelen FastTrax FTR3 lightbar

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Another really special item for the collection is finally complete! I stumbled upon this empty FastTrax housing for $75 and knew that it was a must have and would be a fun project. It came from Michigan and is MSP blue. I'd like to think it came from MSP but I have yet to find any photos of them in use with them (if you have a photo of it in use, please share here!)

The housing is in considerably good condition for it's age (appx 1999). The clear lens was quite yellowed and took quite a bit of elbow grease to clear up which was a challenge with it being thin and curved so it doesn't lay flat. I was able to source the required 400 series strobe and halogens from here and eBay, as well as getting the lenses from various online sellers. Reading through Whelen's manuals on these, they used a unique power supply (ISP8HS) that not only controls the strobes, but the halogens as well. There was a special controller for the FastTrax (I would LOVE to find one of those as well) that would allow me to better control the bar and power supply, but I was able to figure out how to activate three seperate modes as well as three flash patterns for each mode, and low power.

Mode 1: End strobes only
Mode 2: End strobes and halogen only
Mode 3: Everything

IMG_20191113_120002719.jpgIMG_20191113_120006980.jpgIMG_20191122_122308595.jpg
IMG_20191122_122208841.jpgIMG_20191122_184444312.jpgIMG_20191206_151525646.jpgIMG_20191206_151532667.jpgIMG_20191206_151539069.jpgIMG_20191206_152351549.jpg
IMG_20191206_152528313.jpg

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
Awesome find Tony. Great color to boot. I remember when my hometown department put one of these on a slicktop. Thought it was the coolest thing I'd seen up to that point. Hope you can get the controller. I knew they had a special power supply but didn't know about the controller. Would be interested to see it.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Great job!

love the sounds of it firing.

I also remember reading that these requiring a special power supply but did not know about the controller. Sounds like you have a lead on that though. Good luck

Reactions: tsquale

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Minnesota Highway Patrol used them for approximately 1-2 years never saw them again after that time.

Unless I am mistaken, that's because the LED interior bars started coming out around that time, so they just got out classed.

Unless I am mistaken, that's because the LED interior bars started coming out around that time, so they just got out classed.
...and the Crown Vic, for which the fairing was specifically designed, was already rumored to be headed for the dinosaur bone yard. Agencies were already looking for replacements and Dodge introduced the Charger in 2006. Regardless, it is an awesomely righteous find! Who knows, given MHPs incredible testing facilities, it may have been a one-off eval unit!

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
If that is a one off, that would make that find that much sweeter.

Andy L.

Jun 16, 2010
Michigan
Just stumbled on this thread. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures but years ago, late 90's early 2000's I drove by the MSP drive track several times and they had a variety of different lightbars on their track cars. There were several sick top setups too. They were testing different products and ultimately stuck with their traditional beacons with upgraded perimeter lighting.

Years later I went through a drive instructor school at their drive track and confirmed that story with one of their permanent staff. MSP is very found of Whelen so I would say it is very likely you have one of the lights that were being tested. It would have most likely been installed by either Canfield Equipment in Warren MI, or at the State of Michigan Fleet garage. Canfield might be a source of a photo. There was a member here at one time that did installs at Canfield. I think his name was Eric.

Last edited:
Reactions: tsquale and Tony P

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Love it!!
Glad you finally found the controller

That’s cool that the halogen integrates with the strobes in the traffic advisor patterns. Very interesting.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Does that use (or similar) ISP series 4 Strobe outlet 4 halogen outlet. I don’t know the model number.
Same or similar idea that was geared towards some DOT systems that were labeled Sun Snow Fog By Whelen. That’s where the halogen would flash along with the strobe

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Does that use (or similar) ISP series 4 Strobe outlet 4 halogen outlet. I don’t know the model number.
Same or similar idea that was geared towards some DOT systems that were labeled Sun Snow Fog By Whelen. That’s where the halogen would flash along with the strobe
ISP8HS is the specific one the Fasttrax use

Reactions: firebuff17

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Nice. Thanks. Great score. I always thought those were so cool. Being in Whelen country ( originally south central Ct and Now central CT) I never really saw any in person. They were definitely gearing up to lead the way to the interior bar.

and that is the same power supply in the SSNF DOT systems offered by whelen.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.