Whelen Flasher and Relay board T/D override questions

rlsllc

Dec 2, 2011
USA/Ohio
Hey guys,

I'm working on my bars, and have a quick question or two:

I have the programable flasher boards ( http://www.whelen.com/install/135/13501.pdf ), and want to use them to power my work lights. They have a 4 pin connection, labeled front, rear, ground, and takedown, four two pin outlets, and dip switches to program with. I am using a total of four halogen work lights, two with optics to use as floods, and two without optics for more range, and do not want or need them to flash.

My main question is, does the Takedown wire steady burn all four or just the "front", and I assume you put 12v+ to it, not ground?

I may just remove the flasher board and hardwire it, but I like the ability to plug and unplug, and be able to take it all back to original.

My other bar has a 94 relay matrix board, I can't find info on it but it has wiring like this bar ( http://www.whelen.com/install/131/13183.pdf ) and I had the same question, if the halogens could steady burn instead of flash.

Looking at the matrix board, it only has 6 outlets for halogens, and tracing the board/looking at the harness, it looks like it has outputs for 2 take downs (wired together on the same relay, two 2-pin outlets so I assume steady burn), left a right alley (each with it's own relay and standard 2 pin outlet) and here is were it is weird, the front flasher and rear flasher wires appear to connect one each to the two renaining relays, with one 2 pin output per relay.

I may not be tracing the PCB right, but that is what it looks like. Maybe it is front or rear flasher, and power both steady burns? I don't know. I like the relays, but again I may just hardwire it also.

I forgot to grab a battery to use to test with, I may just have to experiment if no one knows. I'm alway afraid of burning something up when doing this.

I did see that the center option wires just lead to another plug, like for an add on board, so I guess this is also an option.

Thanks,

Roy

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.