Wanted Whelen Flatlighter strobe - 1 blue filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
Looking for a blue lens to fit a Whelen Flatlighter. Not the new LED model. The old one that was an actual strobe visor light.
Thx for any leads....
/pbz

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
I believe you're looking for what's known as a 52-series lens.

Looks right to me, thank you. Any idea what the difference is between a "linear strobe lens" (looks like what I have) and an "optic lens" (I don't see a picture for that one). Other than the "optic lens" looks $3 less.....?! lol

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
There are a few different kinds of lenses. Some have no flutes in the plastic, some have flutes in the horizontal orientation, and some have flutes in both directions that form a checkerboard. Those with either kind of flutes are called optic lenses. Those without flutes are not.

Reactions: pzurich

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
Wow thanks for the education....so mine are in a horizontal orientation. Same with the one that I busted that I'm trying to replace. I guess that web site mislabeled one with no flutes as "optic lens", seems like they got it backwards. What sort of effect would I experience with a checkerboard or non-optic lens, as compared with what I'm used to with the horizontal-fluted lens?

Obviously for an interior application like this Flatlighter, I'm trying to minimize interior light scatter and reflection inside the vehicle. On the other hand, light that goes out the windshield and 90 degrees off center to both sides is a good thing. Should I try something other than the horizontal fluted lens for the second lens, that might complement the capabilities of the horizontal one?

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
Like shues said, the 52 series lenses had different patterns. The non-optic ones are great for LED conversions but for halogen/strobe use I think you need some optic lines.
I found some old 52 series lenses down in the tubs. One has the checkerboard (horizontal/vertical)
optics. The others are horizontal only. I saw some red ones too.
Don't be tempted to fit 500 series lenses into your 52 series light. You'll be disappointed.
PM me if you're interested in any of them.
The checkerboard one is the top center in the picture.

-Pete

Whelen52Series 001.JPG

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
there were 52 and 500 series lens for these lights... and i dont think it was dependant on the double/ quad flash version... And pete's right they dont fit, i found that out the hard way as well LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davegrn

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.