Whelen Freedom TX dps

Txclc98

Jan 6, 2020
Texas
I posted in an older thread from a few years back but I doubt it will get resurrected. I have an ex Texas dps Whelen freedom FL. Model number FL8TXD1. It currently has the 2 wire traffic advisor but I’m curious if it can be set up for the 12 wire harness to use with a Whelen tactld1? I’m not super smart when it comes to these bars but I should be able to figure most of it out with some help. Bar was made November of 08 if that helps

Txclc98

Jan 6, 2020
Texas
Alright so I had to make a phone call to Whelen earlier and I asked the question to them and got my answer. Some bars were ordered as 2 wire TA for Texas dps. Now I asked another question and I’m curious if anyone here knows the answer. I asked if the TADCTL1 TA controller would work for a 2 wire ta since it puts out a constant 12v when you switch from left to right or center. The tech support feller said he remembered people trying it years ago but wasn’t sure if it worked or not. Does anyone know if it would work for an all led ta? I don’t know what the output amperage is and don’t want to overload the controller

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
A the control wires for the two-wire traffic advisor in your Freedom will draw a fraction of an amp. You're safe to use a TADCTL1.

Txclc98

Jan 6, 2020
Texas
Excellent. I know they get the power from the main cable but I wasn’t sure how much power draw the trigger wires pull. I snagged a controller off fleabay for a bargain to replace the tactld1 12 wire controller I had before. Sweet

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.