Whelen HALO problem

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
I was planning to install some Whelen HALOs in the tail lights of my 2017 F350 and got one light installed and tested it. While the truck was turned off, it worked fine. I cranked the truck and the bulb started flickering when the headlights/tail lights lights were on in park , like the tail light signal is pulsing. How do I fix this to where the HALOS burn without the flicker?

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
@hitman38367
I ran into this very same problem with my 2014 Ram. It is pretty easy to overcome. I ended up grabbing the signal from the trailer harness, as that is not modulated or monitored by your trucks computer. That is what is causing the flickering of the bulbs.

I don't know how involved you want to get. Here is what I ended up doing.
I cut my factory wiring at each tail light, leaving enough to splice onto both ends. I then attached 3 position weather pack connectors. One on each end of the cut you made, using mating connectors. On the 6 conductor cable that runs to the tail light I again put 3 position weather pack connectors on. The output connector from your 6 conductor cable matted up to the connector that I attached to the tail lightbulb holder. Repeat for the other side. I then attached a mating connector to the truck side harness at the tail light. This mating connector has the “dummy” load anti flicker resistors attached to it. This makes the truck think the lights are still there and working properly. And won’t give you any hyperflashing.
Now to the input side. Curt makes “T” trailer wire harnesses that attach to the back side of your trailer connector on your bumper. You unplug the wire harness from the back of your trailer connector and plug this “T” into that and the other side re-attached to your trailer connector. Within the “T” section from curt, they supply you with another 4 way flat connector. I cut that connector off. Attached the drivers side 3 position weather pack connector and then the passenger side. Making sure to insert the left side to the left and right side to the right. Those connectors matted up to each of the input connectors on your 6 conductor cable at each tail light.
Hope this makes sense. I have pictures some where that I can attach if need be.
let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help.

SNOW SYSTEMS

Sep 26, 2010
Illinois
I was planning to install some Whelen HALOs in the tail lights of my 2017 F350 and got one light installed and tested it. While the truck was turned off, it worked fine. I cranked the truck and the bulb started flickering when the headlights/tail lights lights were on in park , like the tail light signal is pulsing. How do I fix this to where the HALOS burn without the flicker?
Old thread, but curious how this project turned out on a 2017 alumiduty? I have done this on a 2005 powertroke and 2016 powerstroke with no issues. I know the 2017-2019 have a 4 bulb setup.

TacoMonster

Jul 1, 2010
Texas
There are also inexpensive EMI / CanBus filters available on Amazon that would solve the problem.

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
I'm still trying to figure this out with my truck. I pulled from the trailer harness and still didn't have any luck. They flickered a few times with the 4 ways on then nothing. No fuses blew, no magic smoke, nothing. Still working on it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.