Whelen HALO wiring help

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
So I am installing a HALO system into my '14 Ram and ran into a problem. I don't know if it's the system or if I screwed the wiring up. I have a few of these so I don't have to cut my factory harness and I can go back to stock at any time. I cut it in half. I plugged the male into the OEM harness and tested each wire as to its function (Ground, turn/brake, and park). I then looked at the wiring instructions from Whelen for the HALO system and deciphered their diagram (and this is where I may have messed up). I connected the male to what I believe are the correct wires on Whelen cable to bring input into the HALO system. I then connected the remaining three wires to the female 3157 connector and plugged in the bulbs. Did this for the other side as well to complete harnesses. I wired up the control box and connected it to 12v. I turned truck on, turned on parking lights and 4 way flashers. Went to back of truck and had nothing. I reversed the male connections and still nothing. I reversed the HALO bulbs and nothing. I connected the control wire to turn the warning function of the system on. Went to the back of the truck and had very very dim warning lights. Barely noticeable.

The first pic is the 3157 harness I got. The second is how I have it connected.

Here is the install guide.

http://www.whelen.com/install/140/14061.pdf

Is it the wiring? The control box? The bulbs?

Thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
The HALO system is not going to make the Chrysler computer happy. :no:

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Yea. I may have to put some resistors in line to trick the computer but in the 10-15 mins I had it hooked up today I had no light out warning on the dash! So we shall see.

I need to figure the wiring problem out first though.

Lseg810

Sep 21, 2012
CT
Check the cables from Whelen. I had a problem with them not working in a Crown Vic because Whelen did not put the cables together correctly.

Lseg810

Sep 21, 2012
CT
if you are using the Deutsch Connectors, pull the ends part and make sure that the pins (male or female) go all the way to the end. PM for more assistance

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Yea I flipped both bulbs. That's when I was able to get the extremely dim warning. Otherwise I did not have anything.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Yea flipped male adaptor and bulbs.

The other thing I thought of after starting this thread is maybe the male adaptor is not making good contact with the factory female harness and/or the new female connector not making good contact with the HALO bulb. Will have to try this on my next day off.

Keep the ideas coming though.

Lseg810

Sep 21, 2012
CT
firebuff17 said:
Yea flipped male adaptor and bulbs.
The other thing I thought of after starting this thread is maybe the male adaptor is not making good contact with the factory female harness and/or the new female connector not making good contact with the HALO bulb. Will have to try this on my next day off.

Keep the ideas coming though.

That was my problem.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
So I had some time, and nice weather, to try some different ideas as to why they were not working.

I lifted the contacts a hair and made sure they were straight in an attempt to have the pins make good contact. Didn't solve the issue of extremely dim light output. Although this time I did get bulb out warnings. The first time I did not. :bonk

I had some inline resistors on hand so I spliced in those. I used a 50 watt 6 ohm resistor on each side. I was able to get what I believe was the running light to work. I think it is the running light anyway. It was bright but not super bright. No turn signal and no warning when I applied power the the activation wire.

I have 50 watt 3 ohm resistors also. Should I connect these also? (Probably not) or should I connect these instead of the 6 ohm? (Maybe). I still had bulb out warning on the dash with these connected. Should I connect the 3 ohm on the running light circuit?

Just keeping you guys updated on progress and giving more info on what I have found in case you guys can think of something else to try.

Thanks

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
firemedic119 said:
You should at least get warning lights. If you're not there is something wrong in either your bulb wiring or maybe the controller.

Ok thanks. After this past trial and error I started to think about the warning side of it more and thought to myself I should get at least warning because it's technically a different "system". So next round when I have time I will double, triple, and double check again my wiring. I also have more bulbs so I will exchange those also.

Thanks fire medic

Bogie

Jan 19, 2012
Queens,NY
Any updates fire buff ?

And can any of you Halo guys point me in the right direction of supplier for the 6 pin connectors at the brain. I will soon be installing a four head in my Grand Cherokee and need 2 additional cables, I can make them my self as no one has them just need to find the correct part I think Tyco makes them.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Any updates fire buff ?

And can any of you Halo guys point me in the right direction of supplier for the 6 pin connectors at the brain. I will soon be installing a four head in my Grand Cherokee and need 2 additional cables, I can make them my self as no one has them just need to find the correct part I think Tyco makes them.
No updates since the last attempt. Weather has been nice and projects around the house have come first. These lights are not a necessity more of want than need so I will work on them when I can. I will keep you guys posted though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.