Whelen Hawaii Strap?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I found a photo of an interesting mounting option from Whelen today:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.whelen.com/_AUTOMOTIVE/i...Options/Strap_Kits/hiresweb/hawaii_strap2.jpg

I couldn't quickly determine what the part number for this strap kit is, and I'm curious. I became even more curious when I saw the image filename was hawaii_strap2.jpg of all things. Does anyone have more information about this style of mounting kit? I'm namely interested in knowing what vehicles this style of kit available for, and what the significance of Hawaii is to all of this.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Couldn't tell you anything about the mount, but when I was in Hawaii a few years back they were letting officers use their POVs for their primary duties. It was more out side the city but I definatly remember seeing a lot of unmarked cars with blue throw lights and a few antennas on them. That was just what I was told.

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
Most cops in Hawai'i drive their own cars. There are no markings, but they have a blue light mounted externally while on duty.

The lights used have "Cruise Light" function. This is a dim, steady-burning light that identifies the vehicle as a police unit at night.

The Hawai'i Strap lets the officers take the lights off when not on duty.

While some might think this would make it easy for a BG to fake a cop car, there are a couple of visual cues which let the cops know their own, even if they don't recognize the vehicle. I will not elaborate, because it has been suggestion that this would be rapidly followed by the REALLY REALLY REALLY Up Close Volcano Tour. ;)

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Thank you for all your help, everyone. Now, I think I found it in the price list:

MKEZ74 †† Expedition (Low Profile Rack Mount) / 2007-2011 / 52"-55" 49.00
†† (special order, check availability, non-returnable)

I really like the idea, and I was wondering if there was something similar for a variety of roof racks. Apparently this is not the case.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
That installation PDF makes me think that this isn't designed to be quick-release by any means. That makes it look like a semi-permanent solution that elegantly removes the need to drill holes in the roof.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
shues said:
That installation PDF makes me think that this isn't designed to be quick-release by any means. That makes it look like a semi-permanent solution that elegantly removes the need to drill holes in the roof.

You are correct. It is a perm. mount. I am pretty sure Whelen made a flat slide in style for the Expedition/Explorer racks in the late 90's/early 2000's. I gave serious thought to getting a set to mount an edge on my Explorer. That sideways slide in is also easy to have made, as is the flat style. The key is weight distribution along the rack.

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
shues said:

On or off in 2 minutes. When on, it's ON, won't get loose or scratch the paint.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
shues said:
Thank you for all your help, everyone. Now, I think I found it in the price list:

I really like the idea, and I was wondering if there was something similar for a variety of roof racks. Apparently this is not the case.

It'll fit the last style of Explorer as well, despite Whelen saying no.

Ummmm, no. Took over 30 mins to get the 4 bolts per side tightened down due to lack of clearance to get a wrench in there. This is by no means a 'quick mount', just a way to keep from having to drill, mark, or otherwise marr the vehicle. It's a perm mount.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tommy_adams

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.