Whelen HHS2200 install question regarding low power activation

Pimp

Veteran Member
The Whelen HHS2200 lists a low current power activation wire in it's harness legend. Well, it actually lists two. A positive and a negative version. 

I am wanting to set my controller/amp up where when I flip a switch (already installed and ran to the "backlight" wire) that it will also be used as a "master" type switch to turn the amp on and off but like a low current switch. I hooked my toggle into the white w/ red stripe wire [which shows to be 5-3. WHT/RED - Low Current System Switch (+ Act.)]. The desired result was not achieved. I can still operate the controller and all my outputs/buttons with my toggle being off. Maybe I don't understand the function of this feature? What am I missing here? 

From the install guide, page 5, first paragraph:

LCPA Low Current Power Activation Inputs 

(5-3 WHT/RED or 5-8 RED/WHT)

If desired, this system can be switched on (or activated) using Low

Current Power Activation (LCPA) inputs. This is accomplished by

connecting the appropriate LCPA input wire to the desired signal. If the

polarity of the signal to be used is Positive (+), use LCPA Input 5-3. If the

polarity of the signal is Negative (-), use LCPA Input 5-8. 

OnSitePSE

Registered Member
So what you're saying is when there is no power connected to the WHT/RED wire the system still stays on? You should have 3 large red wires ran to the battery and a black one grounded.

If that still isn't working. There is a fuse on the top of the HHS2200 that looks like it can be pulled out and moved over one spot. Give that a try. Whelen does a great job in not telling people to change the fuse from negative input to positive.

OP
OP
Pimp

Pimp

Veteran Member
So what you're saying is when there is no power connected to the WHT/RED wire the system still stays on?

There is a fuse on the top of the HHS2200 that looks like it can be pulled out and moved over one spot. Give that a try. 
Correct.

That is for the Isolated Relay (Outlet 9), which I am no utilizing at all. I suppose I could TRY that, though...  :confused:  

"Isolated Relay (Outlet 9)

The position of Fuse F1 determines the function of wires 6-3, 6-4 & 6-5.

When the fuse is in Position 1, these wires act as a Isolated 15 Amp

Relay. When the fuse is in Position 2, wires 6-3 and 6-4 act as Outlet #9.

Refer to the schematic shown for the electronic properties of this circuit."

Tried it. Didn't make a difference.  :cool:  

Batman88

Try switching dip switch 4 to the off position?

DS4 - This switch determines the method that will be used to turn the siren system on. If the switch is in the ON position, the system is turned on by switching the high-current main power lines (1-3 & 1-4). If this is desired, a switch sized to handle the entire current load must be installed in-line with both 1-3 and 1-4.

If the DS4 is in OFF position, the system is turned on via the LCPA wire (5- 3 or 5-8).

OP
OP
Pimp

Pimp

Veteran Member
Thank you!! I had missed that one! That did it!

Now I have a switch that activates the unit. It is located over to the left of the steering wheel near the headlight switch, well out of the reach of little hands. My siren controller sits in the little cubby hole under the radio ('06 GMC Sierra) and is equally accessible by the passenger or driver. Now with the activation switch, my controller is inoperable without the driver activating it, which is exactly how I wanted it! 

Last edited by a moderator:

weiser699

Thank you!! I had missed that one! That did it!

Now I have a switch that activates the unit. It is located over to the left of the steering wheel near the headlight switch, well out of the reach of little hands. My siren controller sits in the little cubby hole under the radio ('06 GMC Sierra) and is equally accessible by the passenger or driver. Now with the activation switch, my controller is inoperable without the driver activating it, which is exactly how I wanted it!
Sorry to bring up an old post but what type of switch did you use? What is a low current power activation switch anyways and what defines this? I am wanting to setup the exact same thing. What gauge wire did you use from the switch back to the Whelen 2200?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Weoff8823
Top Bottom