Whelen HHS2200 one button alleys malfunctioning

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Can anyone venture a guess as to why this is happening?

Have a button on the HHS2200 set up as One Button Alleys for my arrowstick (first press output 3, second press output 4, third press both on, fourth press shuts off). The first press turns nothing on, the relay inside the amp doesn't even click. Second press activates the other output, and third press actives both just fine. Since both outputs are activating on press three it indicates it's neither a fusing or relay issue, which points to programming.

I tried a modified program the other day but only changed one siren tone, nothing else. I tried reprogramming the alleys button and nothing seemed to happen. I also loaded the previous, original programming and it still didn't function right. All indications are pointing to amp failure at this point.

Anyone have a suggestion to try before I call Whelen tomorrow?

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
I had an issue with a new 2200 a few weeks ago. The One-button just didn't work right. One of the positions worked fine, and the other was random.

i ended up changing it to a regular button in programming, overwriting the amp, then back to the one-button setup and writing again. that fixed it.

It acted like something was corrupt in my program.

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
I have no clue what messed it up. I was changing the list of siren tones for a customer and re-wrote the AMP.

Thankfully i tested everything else before i let it go... because the one-button thingy quit working (i was using it for the arrowstick).

I said a few choice things as I spent the better part of two hours messing with it.

I finally re-dumped my original program into it, which fixed the issue.

Then I went back and tried overwriting with just changes to that button.

Don't know why it quit working. Don't know why that fixes it... just that it seems to.

Glad you got it working!

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
FWIW I did call Whelen and they hinted that it was a bug in the programmer. They asked what version I was running and it's a slightly older one so they recommended I upgrade to the latest one. Sure wish you could just download it or patch online rather than needing a CD sent out, that's very 1990s.

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
Good to know! I'll be calling them if I expect to see another one anytime soon.

mudman2013

Jan 29, 2012
Kansas
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I am having this problem with a new HHS2200. As long as I leave everything in Default, it works as it should. If I change anything, I lose the first push of the One-Touch Alleys. I get a red light, but no relay activation. Go back to default and everything works again...

I have contacted Whelen, and their only answer is to take it out, and send it back to them... which the customer doesnt want to do since it takes a brand new car out of service.

Any ideas?

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
mudman2013 said:
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I am having this problem with a new HHS2200. As long as I leave everything in Default, it works as it should. If I change anything, I lose the first push of the One-Touch Alleys. I get a red light, but no relay activation. Go back to default and everything works again...

I have contacted Whelen, and their only answer is to take it out, and send it back to them... which the customer doesnt want to do since it takes a brand new car out of service.

Any ideas?

Sorry I can't be of service on this issue, but THANK YOU for using the search function and digging up an old thread instead of posting a new one. +1 for you!

stfd717

May 23, 2010
Topeka, KS
Mine did the same thing, called Whelen and the tech I spoke with thought it was an issue with the firmware which required me to send it back to them for reprogramming. He didn't mention the installer as a problem. I've not sent it back yet so I'm not sure if that will fix the problem or not. I have reprogrammed and reinstalled and it works for a short while...so far it hasn't popped back up since the last reprogram, but next time it does I'll probably break down and ship it back for the firmware update.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Easiest fix - once you're finished all your programming, hit the RESET ALL button under your one button alleys and it will fix it. It won't reset anything but the OBA and should have proper functionality.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.