Whelen LED low power mode

May 27, 2010
Memphis, TN
I have a pair of amber PAR46 bulbs that I use as fog lights, more as a way to be seen, not to see. They're great during the day, but at night, they are too bright for oncoming drivers.

I presume that the LEDS with low power or cruise settings operate by lowering the voltage to that particular module.

My question is if that is correct and what would be the best way to accomplish that - diode?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
The voltage at the diodes remains the same when in low-power mode as when in full-power mode. Pulse-width modulation (PWM) occurs at one rate for full-power mode and at a different rate for low-power mode. Whelen holds patent US6586890B2 that may be a good place to begin your research.

If your lightheads don't have a low-power wire, you may consider connecting them to a ULF44 which will provide you with a low-power mode.

Reactions: 167

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.