Whelen LED Question...

firemane24

Sep 29, 2010
Livingston County, MI
So I've always bought clear lenses with solid colors myself but an associate of mine obtained some 700 series leds that are split red/white with matching colored lenses. If he was to get an all red lense will the white side of the light come off as an off red compared to the true red side or will it be unnoticeable?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
firemane24 said:
So I've always bought clear lenses with solid colors myself but an associate of mine obtained some 700 series leds that are split red/white with matching colored lenses. If he was to get an all red lense will the white side of the light come off as an off red compared to the true red side or will it be unnoticeable?

It will be very very noticable. White LEDs are not the same as white halogen lights. White halogen lights contain a broad spectrum of light. The red lens filters out all light except red. Depending on how the white LEDs are made they may contain almost no red. That means the red lens will filter out all light that is not red, ie most or all of the light. The amount this will occur depends on how broad a specturm is produced by the white LED. Usually it totally kills 75% or more of the output.

firemane24

Sep 29, 2010
Livingston County, MI
Thank you sir. That's what I kinda thought bout I haven't had time to mess with them. Maybe we'll be tryin to trade them as I think that would be a lot of white on the front of a Tahoe and I personally think split heads are stupid.

firemane24

Sep 29, 2010
Livingston County, MI
And he has one more question...they didn't come with the back flanges. He's puttin them on the grille. Can he do with out the flanges on the grill or does he need them. I told him to get them

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
The flanges for the 700s are needed... It just finished the look better is all... My 700s are mounted behind my grille with some aluminum stock...

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_The_20Avalanche_ed71f000.jpg

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_The_20Avalanche_4508a670.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.