Whelen LED questions

REDDPSE

May 21, 2010
Central Ohio
I would like peoples opinions on whether to go with the talon or avenger and why.

im trying to figure out which ones i would like to purchase and have never seen video comparing the two.

i have only seen the talon in person.

the lights will be all red or r/c

i appreciate it

thank you

REDDPSE

May 21, 2010
Central Ohio
is there not anyone here who has had both???

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
I'd go with avenger cause hpd84 is running a decent price on r/c ones. The avenger has more output but the talon is more economical.

GaryErrol

May 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Whelen no longer sells the Talon, however as I understand it, they still manufacture it and is only sold by Galls. The Avenger is Whelen's replacement for the Talon. The Avenger is smaller while have more light output than the Talon did.

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
I have ran both. I prefer the Avenger. It seems brighter to me.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I recently saw a good comparison. The SO stopped a car in the city and I backed them up (figured 3 LEO's would be a good idea when stopping someone for 95 in a 55). One dep had a new car with 2 dual avengers in the back, the older car had 2 dual talons. The avengers were brighter, but IDK if I would have noticed if I wasn't a light nerd (and considering they have full liberty's, 2 dual talons/avengers on the deck, and 4 tir 3's on the LP and bottom of the trunk lid, it's had to focus on just one thing). It may be bc the avengers are newer, but the color seemed... clearer I guess, maybe more pure? Since I was looking for it, I could kinda tell there was an extra led in each head, and the avenger looked more oval while the talon was more of a rectangle. Both were bright and seem primary warning worthy, so, IMHO, get which ever you can get the best deal on and feel more comfortable with. I personally prefer the pattern switch being on the rear of the talon vs the power button of the avenger.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
I'm gonna stray... I've never liked lights with pattern wire vs a button. If you direct wire it, that's another button you have to wire in to change the patterns. And, lets all be honest, the lighting goobers we are, we can't go too long with anything staying the same, including patterns. So, I'll keep my Talons.

As to brightness, I'm with John... LEDs are bright enough, to the point of too bright. I've seen both, they're equivalent.

REDDPSE

May 21, 2010
Central Ohio
from what i saw HPD was out of the R/C avengers, might be doing one clear and one red on each side of rear view mirror, also thought about a mini edge on top but def not both together.

sephora99

Oct 6, 2010
Connecticut, USA
While the Avengers are slightly brighter and slightly smaller than the Talons, I personally prefer the look of the Talon over the Avenger. I think things are getting too small and there has to be a limit somewhere. Plus, due to them being discontinued under the name Talon, they are much cheaper and can be found used due the rich departments and people upgrading.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.