Whelen Liberty Bar Gurus... lend me your ears.. maybe eyes too.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Right then.. First time caller, long time listener.. in pretty much any other forum other then Vintage.

I have a Whelen Liberty bar.. SX? LFL, OMG WTF BBQ.. I'm playing dumb.
What I need to do is return to service as the light has been worked on before and I want to make sure I am ordering the right parts to do so.

This video..

Is what I would eventually like to do..

SO.. with that aim in mind..

I need to get a replacement Blue LED light head.. I am assuming LIN4 as it has 4 LEDS inside.
Optimized-20210508_164715.jpgOptimized-20210508_164730.jpg

What will work for this? I am being told that newer heads will not work with my bar.
So would this work?

Also I need 1 of these..
Optimized-20210508_164656.jpg

I think its just a housing, but I don't have a part number.. so I am hoping this will work.

Now the last guy in the bar is what precipitated my hunt. It had amber TA and that was replaced with Blue LED lightheads.. PA.. blue lights 360 so I get that.

He.. or She.. cut the tabs on one of these and used this as a front facing LED..
Optimized-20210508_164757.jpgOptimized-20210508_164749.jpg

This obviously did not align and functioned improperly as its an Edge\Corner lighthead.
Its Blue and it does work, so I am assuming its worth something. Maybe enough to offset some costs.

My next issue is upgrades.. It has halogen Alleys and Takedowns.. that look like..
Optimized-20210508_164642.jpg

The above Youtube Video show updating but no part numbers.

So to sum up..

1.) Blue LED head, Led Head Holder.
2.) What do I need to upgrade the Halogen 500 series heads on both the takedowns and the Alley lights.

Discuss...

Thanks,

Rob

Reactions: Dave F

Dave F

Sep 13, 2015
Berks County, PA
the two parts you listed will work as replacements for the items you need

as far as led upgrades for the alley/td, youre looking for the LR11 heads

for the TD you could go with the SXTDLED, very bright but a bit more costly

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I'm a general connoisseur but am loving whelen libbys right now. I have replacement buckets, LR11s (or MR11s if that's more your flavor) and blue heads but in 6 led not 4.
Is yours an old ballast bar?
What's the model of the flasher board?

Jun 18, 2013
PA
@Sparky_911 lol wut?

Let me get some pictures.. you tell me ;)

Optimized-20210508_205015.jpg Optimized-20210508_205032.jpg

I just did a quick check and all the led assemblies appear to be LIN4
LR11, MR11 what's the difference?
I like cheap and effective... :cool:

Last edited:

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Your board is a few years newer than the discontinuation of ballast technology. You have a passive Liberty.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I pulled the trigger on the LED lighthead and bucket. I gotta get these domes clean up and polished next. But first. Yardwork!

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
the two parts you listed will work as replacements for the items you need

as far as led upgrades for the alley/td, youre looking for the LR11 heads

for the TD you could go with the SXTDLED, very bright but a bit more costly
I have the super takedowns on mine, upgraded from the 3 led takedowns and used them for the alley lights which were halogens.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
So LR11s then.

Will keep hunting.

Already got crap about spending $30 on the bare basics at this point.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
This gonna be a collection piece or service bar?

Jun 18, 2013
PA
This gonna be a collection piece or service bar?

Back into service. Its replacing a well past its prime Edge Frankenbar.

I gotta see if I can find it, but there is a video on the YT of the FrankenEdge in Action where half the bar just shuts off while on a call. I believe the LT just walks up and slaps it and it magically starts working again. Funny, but obviously time to go.

Reactions: Sparky_911
Jun 18, 2013
PA
So I was able to get the adapter.
However.. the ebay seller on the blue lin4 light unit flaked out on me.

Still looking for 1 in blue at the minimum. Unless someone has some amber lightheads they want to part with for the T/A

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Progress.. Progress.. Memorial day update.. Internals are now working as intended. or at least they appear to be.

I had a replacement light head flaking out on me, which in turn started as an issue with the TA. Ended up needing to reflow some solder on the MB PCB and the problem fixed itself. I see signs of repair before on this board, so fingers crossed.
Optimized-20210530_144742.jpg

I still need to refinish the lenses as they are pretty heavily yellowed. No dice on LED swaps for Takedowns and Alleys, probably not gonna happen at this pace.

I did a map of the wiring harness..
so I have an idea of what everything does.
Purple and White with Purple stripe are the only 2 that have no noticeable function.

Reactions: Tony P

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I did a map of the wiring harness..
so I have an idea of what everything does.
Purple and White with Purple stripe are the only 2 that have no noticeable function.

Try applying power to each of these wires while at least one pair of lightheads is flashing. You should notice that pair of lightheads switch to low power mode while you are applying power to the violet wire. You should notice that pair of lightheads advance to the next scan lock flash pattern when you apply power briefly to the white/violet wire.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
@shues is there more information on scan lock flash patterns?

I am working on the lenses currently. Just did a round of soap and water, Magic Eraser and Auto rubbing compound with my drill. Killed the battery, recharging and will switch up with plastiX.

This is bringing back the terrible memories of working on hundereds of Whelen Edge series lenses a few years back.... :mad:

Jun 18, 2013
PA
My dislike for whelen is rearing its head again.. I need 3 blue light heads.. Running thought function checks and I have lightheads with bad Leds..

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
6mW9H27.jpg

Source: https://www.whelen.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/13745.pdf

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Also, you can get a much larger footprint using the sync mode patterns @Keith K. shared with the world about a decade ago, here:

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I just sent off 4 light heads to @wilsonbr90 for repair. If I had a lead on the diodes the repair looks to be fairly simple. After taking a light head apart, you probably could convert 4 to 6's pretty easily.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
... and it's done!

Optimized-20210807_152738.jpgOptimized-20210807_152705.jpg

Thanks to all that assisted on this.. next step is to get it out of my hair and back into service.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.