Whelen liberty corner stuck on steady burn

billm

Mar 21, 2021
texas
the passenger side front out side forward facing has always been normal on flash pattern and today it stays steady burn even thought the others have their normal flash pattern in the video it shows flashing but it is steady burn any ideas what would cause this

PS this is a picture as it would not let me post a video

Attachments

• IMG_1617.jpg
    IMG_1617.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 12
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Sounds like you might have a compromised ground on that corner... If I remember correctly, Those bars run constant power to the lightheads and use the ground to flash them.
The ground wire for that lighthead (coming from the I/O board) might have developed a break somewhere and its grounding itself out.

- First thing I would do is take the bar apart and visually inspect the wiring for any compromised areas,
- Another test would be to turn the bar on (with it disassembled) and wiggle the wires for that lighthead and see if it starts to flash again.
- Also, take the output for that lighthead and put it on a different lighthead and see if it reacts the same. If it stays steady on a different lighthead, the culprit is most likely the harness that runs the corners.

Reactions: billm and Dave F

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I think triton is right.
I remember an era of liberty bars that had this issue. And I believe it came down to a bad ground for the head in question.
Tritonboulder has listed a great set of instructions to help narrow down the issue.

Reactions: TritonBoulder47

billm

Mar 21, 2021
texas
i checked all the connections and they look good also swapped connectors from the outboard lt head to the one inside of it and the problem followed to the new lt head does this sound like a board issue is it possible it changed flash patterns on the outboard lts for no reason

also whelen said the board is no longer available and gave me a new part number 02-0185962-00

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
is it possible it changed flash patterns on the outboard lts for no reason
The Board runs flash patters in pairs, ie: Front corners, Rear corners, ect. so it don't believe its a flash pattern change, sounds more like a board issue...

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
i checked all the connections and they look good also swapped connectors from the outboard lt head to the one inside of it and the problem followed to the new lt head does this sound like a board issue is it possible it changed flash patterns on the outboard lts for no reason

also whelen said the board is no longer available and gave me a new part number 02-0185962-00

Swapping the connection only rules out a bad lighthead and does not rule out a short to ground in the wiring harness. Do you have access to a multimeter or continuity tester?

billm

Mar 21, 2021
texas
which harness are you talking about as the 1 for the front outboard is only about a foot long and i did not see any sign of where it might be shorted out unless the board is shorted out or could it be in the main harness coming up to the light bar

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I meant the harnesses that connects directly to the lighthead. Taking out the I/O board and testing again would be my next step.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The fact that it isn't following the lighthead but the position really points to board issues. However until you take every part out of the equation you don't know. You would have to swap the wires from the lighthead and the lighthead to a new position. If it is always the same output no matter what lighthead you plug in (harness and all), you have a board problem. Patterns change in pairs so if both corners were stuck steady you might have a progamming issue, but a single lighthead with the lighthead and wires to it ruled out is pretty telling.

Reactions: Dave F and billm

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
If it’s LC it’s most likely the board. You can’t program the corners to steady on a LC so it’s definitely not the programming of the bar. Check the outlet and trace the wires all the way back to the long white plug the light head harness comes out. If there are no issues with any of that go ahead and unplug the light head harness and blow out the connector and the pins on the board. If that doesn’t work then you have a short in the board and it will need to be replaced

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helmi

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.