Whelen Liberty Question

kenwied

Jan 22, 2015
Wisconsin
I'm wondering if anyone has ever used the high intensity takedown modules as a regular lighthead. I've thought about clipping the wiring to make it work connection wise, but I'm nervous to blow the I/O board if there's more of a current going through than what the LIN6's pull. I bought the white LIN6 lightheads and put them in the takedown location, but I'm not a fan of how little "punch" there is. The rest of the bar is red. Goal is to make the High Intensity takedowns flash like the other lightheads. I'm not concerned about not being able to use takedowns for their intended purpose - unless someone has a hint on how to do it.

Attachments

• 20180423_122143.jpg
    20180423_122143.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 10

got_yogurt

May 21, 2010
BC, Canada
The IO board for the freedom and liberty are the same, freedom heads are 12 led... so theoretically i think it should work, but I haven’t seen anyone do it so I can’t say for sure

kenwied

Jan 22, 2015
Wisconsin
Thanks - I'm looking to get more flash patterns from the high intensity takedown (like what the other light heads are doing). Something different from the alternating single or double flash.

Stu824

Feb 19, 2018
Pennsylvania
In the tray behind the forward facing lightheads should be a pair of "spare" female connectors which would be used for LEDs if no takedowns were equipped (see photo).
These are powered in regular warning mode, providing the same flash patterns as all other lightheads.
The connector does not fit the takedown plug, so I assume if you were to remove the plug and insert the "spare" lighthead wires (solid being positive, color w/ stripe being negative) into the HITD, conceivably it should work for what you want.
Furthermore, if you were to simply add the spare lighthead wires to the takedown plug, then you should be able to achieve warning mode and takedown in one.
However, I'll make the disclaimer that I'm not certain if it may be detrimental to the I.O.

PicsArt_04-26-01.11.29.jpg

kenwied

Jan 22, 2015
Wisconsin
My harness actually has the plugs available for the LIN6's in place of the TD's. That was what I was going to clip and swap the TD plug for the LIN6 plug. I just don't want to overload the circuit and fry the board.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
My harness actually has the plugs available for the LIN6's in place of the TD's. That was what I was going to clip and swap the TD plug for the LIN6 plug. I just don't want to overload the circuit and fry the board.

The SXTDLEDs have a dozen three-watt LEDs each, 36 watts total.
The 500-series modules have six one-watt LEDs each, 6 watts total.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
shues - for the video above, the TD's actually look like they are LIN6's.

There are no takedowns installed in that Liberty. The white LIN6s you see are connected to the FRONT LED 2 and FRONT LED 5 positions (RED and GRN wires, respectively) and are triggered by the GRN/BLK (Front Inboard LEDs) input.

kenwied

Jan 22, 2015
Wisconsin
Stu - those are the wires that I was going to connect to (I've got the clear LIN6's connected to them now), but since the regular LIN6's take 6 watts, and the HITD's take 36, I'm a little gunshy about doing it because I don't want to blow the IO board with trying to run too many watts through that channel.

In the tray behind the forward facing lightheads should be a pair of "spare" female connectors which would be used for LEDs if no takedowns were equipped (see photo).
These are powered in regular warning mode, providing the same flash patterns as all other lightheads.
The connector does not fit the takedown plug, so I assume if you were to remove the plug and insert the "spare" lighthead wires (solid being positive, color w/ stripe being negative) into the HITD, conceivably it should work for what you want.
Furthermore, if you were to simply add the spare lighthead wires to the takedown plug, then you should be able to achieve warning mode and takedown in one.
However, I'll make the disclaimer that I'm not certain if it may be detrimental to the I.O.

View attachment 212428

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.