whelen liberty

Lazzati

May 22, 2010
Salem County NJ
Hello all,

I recently bought a used whelen liberty. The seller told me that the bar is between 5-6 years old, I didn't receive the bar it ( it will be delivered by Monday so the ups says) but my question is could I use any whelen liberty light head in it because I need to change the front from red/blue to all blue. If anyone can help me that would be so great. ( if anyone has the type of blue head I need and are willing to trade for red please pm me)

Thank you all for your help.

TangoDown

May 22, 2010
Montana
They changed around the wiring guts in those bars a few years back. I am sure one of the experts here will pop in to tell you exactly what to do, but I know that new-gen modules will not retrofit into the older bars without some modification. I know somebody here is going to give you the exact direction you need.

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
If its' a ballast controlled lightbar, you'll have to get ballast LED lightheads for it.

Just about everything newer is passive (no ballast) & the passive parts seem to be easier to find used.

You can open the bar up to see if its' ballast controlled or not; it also MIGHT say on the lightheads.

Or the seller may already know :cool:

medicandy

May 21, 2010
NC
ChargerLighting said:
If its' a ballast controlled lightbar, you'll have to get ballast LED lightheads for it.
Just about everything newer is passive (no ballast) & the passive parts seem to be easier to find used.

You can open the bar up to see if its' ballast controlled or not; it also MIGHT say on the lightheads.

Or the seller may already know :cool:

+1 I would ask the seller if not then you need to find out since they will not work if you get the wrong time.

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
I think you can still buy ballast lightheads new, but, probably a lot of $$$. The passive versions are just a lot easier to find. I know Whelen had the ballast Liberty for a few years then changed them over. Wish they had done away with ballast-ed Freedoms long ago.....

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
I think earlier ballast-style lightheads used 8 LEDs on the inboard heads. Current passive heads are either 6 LED or 4 LED (economy/de-populated).

There isn't a whole lot different in appearance. The ballasted heads (that I've seen) have longer (thicker) heat sinks on the rear of the modules. & with a ballast head, you can't just put 12 volts to it - if it does turn on it will be VERY dim. It needs to be plugged into the ballast to get the right amount of voltage to work properly.

whtownejr

Jul 30, 2011
Vermont
I have 2 blue ballast heads that I need traded for red. I also have three passive TIR STEADY that are blue I need traded for red. I also have 2 extended 12led corner modules that are blue I need replaced with red (corners are a must for red, I'll settle for amber, clear or red on the other 5) willing to trade. Let me know.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.