Whelen Liberty

nrplowguy

May 23, 2010
New Richmond, WI
I picked up a used bar last night for a real good price. Its an sx8AAAA it was built 6/07 is this the newer style or ballast style?

nrplowguy

May 23, 2010
New Richmond, WI
this one does have the TA built in and its the two wire so it must be newer i will look at the numbers again and make sure it was right

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
nrplowguy said:
I picked up a used bar last night for a real good price. Its an sx8AAAA it was built 6/07 is this the newer style or ballast style?

It is not ballast as it was manufactured in 2007 and it has LIN6 modules and only a LIN8 would be a ballast model. Yes it is a SX model and you have the model number correct as SX8AAAA as you saw it. I had a 9/07 SX8AAAA that I sold a few months ago that was the same one you have.

[Broken External Image]:http://images9.fotki.com/v55/photos/9/14219/8749807/SX8AAAA-vi.jpg

chipdarius

Apr 11, 2011
Cromwell, CT USA
So -- ballasted heads cannot be put into a newer lightbar. And newer heads cannot be put into a ballasted lightbar (can't connect to the board?).

Is there any reason why newer heads can't be put into a ballasted bar and just connect to power, ignoring the board?

sephora99

Oct 6, 2010
Connecticut, USA
You could put newer (passive) heads in the bar on direct power if you wanted to, but if they do not have internal flashers then they would just be steady on when the power is connected. They of course cannot be plugged into the ballast itself. But, personally, if you have the control board in the bar, it seems nearly pointless to install heads that don't use it. Besides, ballast heads are probably cheaper since they are older technology so you can save some money.

fire1

Jun 5, 2011
Michigan
sephora99 said:
You could put newer (passive) heads in the bar on direct power if you wanted to, but if they do not have internal flashers then they would just be steady on when the power is connected. They of course cannot be plugged into the ballast itself. But, personally, if you have the control board in the bar, it seems nearly pointless to install heads that don't use it. Besides, ballast heads are probably cheaper since they are older technology so you can save some money.

I will agree with the statement. If you have the heads already or you can get them cheap just add a flasher.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.