Whelen light bars

Sgtplowdriver

Feb 24, 2019
Virginia
Hi

I am recently retired Leo. My interceptor utility had a liberty 2 wecan duo. I am doing landscaping and plowing with my truck part time now that I'm retired. I'm familiar with the liberty, but also saw the legacy. The legacy appears to be thinner. It'll be mounted on a headache rack. What are the differences between the 2? I like the freedom and that its thicker but I can't afford it. I can get either the legacy or Liberty for about the same price.

I'm open to other brands If anyone has suggestions for a good full size light bar. No take down. No Alley. But my vehicle usually had Whelen and I am familiar with their products.

I plan on controlling this light bar via the factory up fitter switches in my truck.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
There is a great used market here for Lightbars. Just the other day I saw a Whelen freedom for 250 bucks. It was red/blue so it would have needed to be converted to amber... but Wilson here on the forum does that. It would be WAY cheaper than a liberty or legacy new.

Do some digging into the classifieds.

Best of luck,
Seth

Reactions: Sparky_911

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I 2nd the above. Used LED bars are almost as good as new (save maybe faded lenses if they're clear) and run the gamut from 100-400. As amber goes, I've not seen a lot of liberty's for sale but freedoms and justices can be found with some digging. Heck even snagging an old EDGE 9 series and up fitting it with 400 or 700 LED heads can be cheaper than picking up a used led bar.

Liberty vs legacy? Same basic operation, just thinner and with more features (dual color, full white flood, upgraded electronics). Since they are fairly new not a lot of used out there yet.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
I just swapped out to a Legacy Duo on my truck too, WeCan. I have a Freedom WeCan on my other truck. The Legacy and the Freedom IV have more uninterrupted light than the Liberty II, in my opinion, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

Reactions: Sparky_911

Sgtplowdriver

Feb 24, 2019
Virginia
Does anyone know How expensive are the light modules for a freedom if I find a freedom?

Jman423 I like your setup I want a setup like that

Last edited:

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
I have 4 amber corners, the premium style for the Freedom. I also have the frame and most of the intervals with the I/O. If you’re looking for parts, let me know what you need. Amber 400 Series for the Freedom should be between $30 - $70 each, sometimes depending on date of manufacture and/or color.

Sgtplowdriver

Feb 24, 2019
Virginia
I have 4 amber corners, the premium style for the Freedom. I also have the frame and most of the intervals with the I/O. If you’re looking for parts, let me know what you need. Amber 400 Series for the Freedom should be between $30 - $70 each, sometimes depending on date of manufacture and/or color.

I was talking to a friend and he knows someone who has a 54" freedom all blue non led takedown. Willing to sell it for 350. I would be interested in it but it needs new lenses and needs to be converted to all amber. Any idea How much would it cost to covert it to amber? Im guessing it'll be 500-1000 just to convert it and replace its lens from the little bit of research I've done

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
It's not something you see every day, but some folks have used 700-series lightheads inside their Freedom instead of 400-series lightheads.

Sgtplowdriver

Feb 24, 2019
Virginia
i found another light bar online another freedom all red wecan 54". $800. Alleys and take downs. But I would need to change every led to Amber and change the lenses. I like the idea of a freedom, I'm just concerned how much this will cost as it is getting up there fast.

Does anyone know about feniex? My dealer can get me a 48" fusion single color gpl for $1000. I like the idea of rebuilding a freedom but it seems to be getting expensive

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
i found another light bar online another freedom all red wecan 54". $800. Alleys and take downs. But I would need to change every led to Amber and change the lenses. I like the idea of a freedom, I'm just concerned how much this will cost as it is getting up there fast.

Does anyone know about feniex? My dealer can get me a 48" fusion single color gpl for $1000. I like the idea of rebuilding a freedom but it seems to be getting expensive
I have a Fusion GPL Dual Color, all amber/white with some special features, if you're interested. And don't worry, it won't be that much more expensive than you dealer can get you a single color version for ;)

GLUpfitting

Feb 22, 2019
Michigan

Sgtplowdriver,

I have a 48" SoundOff Signal Pinnacle (EPL9000) lightbar I could part with to help you. All Amber LED/Clear Lens, Takedowns, Alleys and Rear Arrow with Controller. Only used it for demo's so it's practically new. Since you are plowing, I could move the takedowns to the rear and make them worklights/reverse lights for you if you wish. If interested, send me a message and I'll give you a price. Thanks!

Ken, EVT-C

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.