Whelen Micron LED Lighthead

Brian H

May 25, 2010
Iowa
Just got my 2014 Fleet Safety catalog and on page 51 it shows a picture of the new Whelen Micron LED lighthead. It's 6 led's similar to an ION, solid and split colors. They don't have pricing or it's size but say it's smaller than the Ion. It's surface mount and looks almost identical to the Fed Sig MicroPulse. Though you'd all like to know

Sirennet

Apr 23, 2013
Oregon
I've been told I will have official info on the Micron sometime next week, and demo parts in hand shortly after.

I will post what I get!

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Can always count on you.. need ya around the site more

Sirennet

Apr 23, 2013
Oregon
I was told by someone at Whelen: They are not as bright as the ION, however, they are very "cute".

Sirennet

Apr 23, 2013
Oregon
Wattco - Brent said:
I will have to somewhat disagree with the statement that the Micron is not as bright as the ION.

OK.

Are you going to back it with something or just leave it out there?

May 21, 2010
California
Well i have seen them in person - side by side and also we need to deal with one important aspect of what is never really asked by users. How they perform in different applications, off angle, as grill lights vs. side of vehicle lighting etc..

Whelen is very good at using the latest tech in the latest products and then incorporating that new tech as running changes into the previously released products.

We will call it best of breed when it comes to the latest items - Engineers do this because they love to use the latest and best solution to the issue they are presented with.

The new light based on its size, profile, and potential use cases is as bright or brighter in most cases than the ION - but as many need to understand here - the profile and size of the light needs to be matched properly to the intended application.

Example: I would not put Microns on a huge tiller truck, unless they are properly placed by application, and are supplemental lighting. Larger vehicles should get larger lightheads in 90% of cases. Where as the Micron on a motorcycle would be a great fit and something we have needed for some time.

Whelen makes so many lightheads for a reason - they all have their place on different applications.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
Can anyone explain the difference between the Ion and the Micron, aside from the split between the three LEDs on the Micron? Same basic application?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.