Whelen mini edge power issue

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I have a magnetic mini edge that I have used for years on my units, it's set to a cigarette lighter plug, it was a 6 strobe unit but the cs225 went bad and stopped firing, now the main supply started to go I thought and bought a new one from fittyo but that's a full cable set for halogens and 4 strobes. So I dissected the new bar to go in my old bar because the new one was permanent mount no holes for magnets. I tested the power supply and it worked fine. Set it all up in my bar and can't get all 4 heads to fire it does the same thing the old one was doing. It has 2 control wires for fronts and rears and will fire all 4 when each gets hooked to its own power now where before it worked hooked together thru the cigarette lighter power cable. Thoughts? I'm confused as to why it won't work the original way. And now the old supply I put in the new bar does the same thing, separate power connections and she works perfect... What the heck!!!

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Sounds like not enough volts or amps getting to the supply when wired to ciggie. What size fuse?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
If both bars are now doing it, then it's not bar specific. Maybe something the plug or car outlet went bad? Try a different power source, straight from a battery if you can.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Actually I added another wire to the mix from the control wire to the wire coming off the cigarette lighter plug ( it's a dual switch ) and boom it works... though only when both switches are on will front and rear strobes fire, if I turn off the back strobes the fronts will still fire, but if I turn the front strobes off the back strobes won't fire... So I'm guessing it needs a larger wire cigarette plug without switches to fire front and rear together ( no fronts or backs independent firing ) and I guess I'll just need to put it back to its own wiring harness and a switch box when I'm ready to just leave it in place on the roof.

Thanks for the thoughts..

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I changed it over to a larger wire, having trouble finding heavy duty cigarette lighter with wiring. So far so good, was cooler!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.