Whelen Mirror Beams on Current Chargers

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
Is it me or do the current, Ion based, Mirror beams for the current Dodge Charger suck? We've got our first install back with these and they are utterly unimpressive. I realize that they're competing with M6's and a full light bar but they don't project forward at all and only seem to disperse light in a very narrow beam. I don't know why Whelen abandoned the 500 series heads when they worked so well. If I hadn't already bought six set, I don't think I'd bother. Sound Off offers mirror grommets for Predators but they don't say what year. If they fit current Chargers, we may completely abandon Whelen for anything but siren/light controllers. This strikes me as another example of how there is no substitute for square inches when developing heads.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I have a 2004 Ford Explorer with Mirrorbeams that have the 500 series heads. They are great. When I saw videos the newer Mirrorbeams I was not impressed. My mirrorbeams and a led flasher are the only Whelen products I have. SOS for most of my lighting.

Andy L.

Jun 16, 2010
Michigan
Not that it would make them compare with a 500 series but are your IONs the standard or wide-angle series? I just put standard IONs on the side of a new Ford sedan....I won't do that again. In fact, I wouldn't use anything but the wide-angle if I had to use an ION.

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
Andy L. said:
[A]re your IONs the standard or wide-angle series? I just put standard IONs on the side of a new Ford sedan....I won't do that again. In fact, I wouldn't use anything but the wide-angle if I had to use an ION.

I had forgotten that there were two versions of the ION. Ours are the standard mirror beam option which I suspect is not wide-angle. I didn't even see an option to order the wide-angles in the Whelen propoganda. I did get the solid colors. I can't imagine how much these would suck in a split red/blue in the same housing.

OTFD122

May 24, 2010
SE Michigan
I always preferred the larger footprint of the 500 Series. But I have to agree w/Andy, get the wide angle Ions! The standard Ion is great head on, but off axis is not it's strong suit.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.