Whelen RB-6 H.I.D. beacon

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Did anyone ever see one of these in person? They had an H.I.D. bulb as well as a ballast and a "preconditioner" inside. Anyone know why they took off like a lead balloon?

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
NPS Ranger said:
Did anyone ever see one of these in person? They had an H.I.D. bulb as well as a ballast and a "preconditioner" inside. Anyone know why they took off like a lead balloon?

i know ford dealer has some info. pm him.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
dmathieu said:
I just sent John Marcson the brochure on this light, and HID products. When he gets it in the mail, maybe he'll share it.

Dan

Once your stuff gets here I'm starting a sorting project....... I'm going to try to get things broken down by company and year. I'll get new things scanned and posted as quickly as I can.

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
I have 4 NOS sets of rotator trays, ballasts, pre-conditioners, for an Advantedge... now I just need a NOS Advantage to install it all in. :D

Reactions: badge22

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_Whelen_HID1.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_Whelen_HID2.jpg

May 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Its interesting that Whelen lists the cp on the halogen version of the beacon as 25,000, but the current RB-6 is shown as having a 50,000 cp rating. It is hard to believe that a redesigned reflector would double the light intensity. Was Whelen fudging to create a wider difference between the HID and halogen versions? Anyone know what the HID beacon sold for?

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
I don't remember what they sold for, but the company I worked for in the '90's was going to install the beacons in the trunk of their standard package slick-tops as a throw beacon for roadblocks. I had one, but sold in 2 years ago. Wicked bright. Whelen and Phillips could not reach a deal on the quickfire technology (used in headlights). It took about 15 seconds to get to full brightness. If you shut it off you were screwed for up to two mins. before it would re-light. Unfortunately, Whelen produced a retro-fit kit to convert them over to standard halogen, just as with the OSC lightbars (Oscillating). So many of the few that were sold have been gutted.

SPMRC

Jun 10, 2011
Lubbock, Texas
Doesn't HID give you interference problems with radios?

I saw on Ham Radio boards that people that had HID headlights, also had interference in the radio.

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
Radio interference depends greatly on the quality of the ballast and wiring. I have aftermarket HIDs in my Charger and I get zero interference to my AM/FM radio or over my scanner on any frequency that I've noticed. Most of the problems come from people using cheap kits instead of the good OEM-spec components.

SPMRC

Jun 10, 2011
Lubbock, Texas
whatevah said:
Radio interference depends greatly on the quality of the ballast and wiring. I have aftermarket HIDs in my Charger and I get zero interference to my AM/FM radio or over my scanner on any frequency that I've noticed. Most of the problems come from people using cheap kits instead of the good OEM-spec components.

Yeah I don't know about this, but I hope that a ham knows how to install a radio and some HID at the same time.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Dr. Dennis Stouffer said:
Its interesting that Whelen lists the cp on the halogen version of the beacon as 25,000, but the current RB-6 is shown as having a 50,000 cp rating. It is hard to believe that a redesigned reflector would double the light intensity. Was Whelen fudging to create a wider difference between the HID and halogen versions?

I'd guess they're just talking about the bare bulb without the reflector.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Then you have Federal's HID and fiber optic spectra system...

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_Federal_20Signal_federalcat3.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_Federal_20Signal_federalcat4.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_Federal_20Signal_federalcat6.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_Federal_20Signal_federalcat7.jpg

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
I recall talking to a Whelen rep when the H.I.D. lamps were introduced. He was not pushing the light, but the amber beacon on display was pretty bright. He saw it only as a brighter Amber light useful for highway construction and heavy equipment because -

Ambulances and other emergency vehicles at the time were having problems with electrical current consumption, and on startup the HID used a considerably greater surge of current.

On law enforcement vehicles, the frequent cycling of the lamp would cause premature lamp failure, and the bulbs were expensive. Also, it was the same old argument - how bright is bright enough. Halogen sealed beam bulbs and halogen lamp emergency lamps were already pretty effective. And then --- LEDs were around the corner, with a whole different type of beam projection and low current demand.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Here are some pics of one I lost an auction for a while back.

$T2eC16JHJHIE9nysd50KBQodoIOYN!~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16RHJGQE9noM,B8!BQodo620UQ~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16JHJGQE9noMZMtLBQodrVPt5Q~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16ZHJF8E9nnC8HBKBQodp5l5Kw~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqRHJEEFCdWy+d6eBQodqzKD!w~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqJHJFcFBuFyokMtBQodqV1EIw~~60_57.JPG

Reactions: kitn1mcc

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Id love to see an HID Advantedge in action

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.