Whelen Responder LP (Version 1) vs. Whelen Responder LP (Version 2)

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
There are two very different versions of the Whelen Responder LP available on the market right now. To help me show the differences, I have labeled them Version 1 and Version 2.

Version 1 uses the 500 Series, 6 tab, LIN6 or CON3 LED modules as found in the Liberty lightbar, Raiders, and linear LED traffic advisors (among others).

Version 2 uses a metal bracket mounted 6 LED light unit.

Whelen Responder LPs are made in metal base and plastic base versions. They are made in permanent mount and magnetic mount. They are available with hard wire or switched cigarette lighter plug power input. LIN6s versions use non-optic domes. CON3 versions use optic domes (example to be added soon). Note: 6 tab, 500 Series, TIR6 and 5mm modules can easily be interchanged into Version 1.

The versions shown here both have linear LEDs and metal bases with hard wire option.

Version 2 overview. Note the inside roof of the dome is smooth - without indentations used to hold the 6 tab LIN6s found in Version 1. The base top is smooth. The LEDs are mounted to the base.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_Misc_DSCF0062.jpg

Version 2 with plastic base. Following photo credited to: rwo978

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_WhelenResponderHousingOpenVersion2byrwo978.jpg

Version 1 overview. The base top is ribbed.The LEDs are mounted to the dome.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_Misc_DSCF0063.jpg

Version 2 dome.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_Misc_DSCF0069_1.jpg

Version 2 flasher is inset into the base.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_Misc_DSCF0067.jpg

Version 2 close up of LED modules mounted.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_Misc_DSCF0064.jpg

Version 2 showing the mounting tabs on the LED module and the slots in the dase that the tabs are inserted into.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_Misc_DSCF0071_1.jpg

Version 1 base.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_Misc_DSCF0068_1.jpg

Version 1 flasher mounted on raised plastic posts cast into the dome.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_Misc_DSCF0066.jpg

Version 1 close up of LIN6s mounted to plastic posts cast into the dome.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_Misc_DSCF0065.jpg

Version 1 showing the retainer used to mount the LIN6s to the dome and the insets cast into the dome to retain the opposite side of the LIN6.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_Misc_DSCF0070_1.jpg

Side by side - Version 1 on the left / Version 2 on the right

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_Misc_DSCF0074.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
Reserved for plastic base versions

This is the Version 1 plastic base and related components.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_DSCF002128.jpg

Reactions: OliverD

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Thank you, this is good information. I've made this thread a sticky.

If I was going to purchase one of these, I would only get the original R2 (Version 1 in your write-up).

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
Is there a way to identify the units that had the defective flasher?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
badge22 said:
Is there a way to identify the units that had the defective flasher?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: HUH?

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
rwo978 said:

Whelen knowingly shipped the first release of this mini-bars with defective flashers. First they refused to admit the problem, then decided that the failure rate was acceptable. They continued to ship them until they used all of the original flashers and then started using new ones.

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
Just reading this thread and we sell thousands of these lights yearly and never have had one flasher issue and to be honest they use the exact same flasher. Not sure who started that rumor but they are the exact same light with the same output just went to a different build strictly to save costs. The built time along with the first version was a bit much and even trying to change heads in house was a pain. the newer version shares the Linear 6s with the Justice and cost less to produce. Both versions are very good and I personally like the newer version as less parts and the metal plate acts as a heat sink keeping the LEDs cooler. should you order one both models are backed by Whelen 100%. I know we still have some perm blues and reds in the version 1.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
A Whelen rep made the comment to me that Whelen did this to prevent people from paying $400 for 6 LIN6 modules as opposed to over $600 if they were purchased individually.

That's how I got my LIN6 modules, I found a good deal on an R2 v1 and pulled out the modules. Then I sold the flasher and housing to make the overall cost even cheaper.

As for the v2, I don't have an opinion because I haven't seen them in person yet, but it does look like the footprint of the module is smaller.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
Strobesnmore said:
Just reading this thread and we sell thousands of these lights yearly and never have had one flasher issue and to be honest they use the exact same flasher. Not sure who started that rumor but they are the exact same light with the same output just went to a different build strictly to save costs. The built time along with the first version was a bit much and even trying to change heads in house was a pain. the newer version shares the Linear 6s with the Justice and cost less to produce. Both versions are very good and I personally like the newer version as less parts and the metal plate acts as a heat sink keeping the LEDs cooler. should you order one both models are backed by Whelen 100%. I know we still have some perm blues and reds in the version 1.

Well, sir, good for you. Eight of my customers, a Whelen rep for over 20 years, and two people at the Whelen tech support office would disagree with you. I know, I was in the middle of it. As for selling "thousands" of these lights "Yearly". I'd have to see that to believe it (did someone put the blue and red version 1's you still have in a hidden closet? :weird: ), but ok. The versions in questions were sold in 2007.

tritan

Dec 6, 2010
MI
So is the poly based model of this light the same version 1 to 2. I had the original with red/white in the front and would love to get another.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
tritan said:
So is the poly based model of this light the same version 1 to 2. I had the original with red/white in the front and would love to get another.

no, it's the same as pictured above with the mounting tray for the lightheads. The only difference is the aluminum base vs the poly base.

tritan

Dec 6, 2010
MI
rwo978 said:
no, it's the same as pictured above with the mounting tray for the lightheads. The only difference is the aluminum base vs the poly base.

So I am confused. Other then the changes in flasher unit and design change is there a brightness change? off axis viewing better ?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
tritan said:
So I am confused. Other then the changes in flasher unit and design change is there a brightness change? off axis viewing better ?

The performance of the LIN6 and CON3 will be the same, just different mounting platforms. The generaly layout of the modules is identical, they just mount differently. Brigtness and off axis will not change from V1 LIN6/CON3 to V2 LIN6/CON3. However, the LIN and CON modules have vastly different performance. I encourage you to search and read up on this, but from my experience, I would buy the LIN6 version if at all possible.

As to the flasher, they are all identical in all versions, including permanent and magnetic mounts. The only difference is that the magnetic mount has 3 less wires installed on the power harness of the flasher (sync, pattern override, low power). If you were to install these wires in the plug, which I have, you would have the functions available.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
SireLite said:
Did you not get a plastic base version?

I have never obtained a plastic base Version 2.

However, as rwo978 mentioned above, the plastic and the aluminum base lights have identical components. Only the bases are different.

I had forgotten about this thread until recently. I will see what I can do about updating it soon with a photo of the plastic base Version 1 with its individual parts.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Projects_20Reviews_Cu3b9c6fbac89a67611c2ce8b01f2594b9.jpg

Here's the poly base. Same aluminum mounting plate.

Reactions: OliverD

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.