Whelen SC computer interface... Anyone know how?

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
I have a concept that may or may not work. I do not have the computer skills, but it seems possible:

Whelen SC Programmer has a simulation feature allowing a PC to activate the pre-selected functions for testing. These are done one at a time.

As I understand it, and the reports output shows, the program sends a line of code that activates the functions.

Does anyone have a program, or understand how to make one, that would allow an HTML-like computer interface to activate pre-selected programmed "switches" much like an MPC01 does? I have all the downstream hardware.

The ultimate end result would be this:

A graphic picture of my display is embedded with links. Click on the link, it shows information about that particular light, and that particular light (real, hanging on the wall) activates as programmed when you click on some additional link: end lamps, rotate, etc.

The interface may show information like a web page would, too. In other words, a web page that when you click on a link doesn't show you just a picture, it activates a real live function. I can get the rest done, power and switching and such, just not the programmable computer-to-switch. Think web page builder, but for SC.

I think of a museum display, model train layout, or the like. This PC display would provide much more information, and be connected via one twisted pair, instead of those museum like mounted boards.

Commodore 64 had something like this... it just clicked over a relay in a box connected to ground power, via input or even timed. That and a power supply ran a FireBall on demand. I just want to add more, and need a PC program to run it.

If that all makes sense, and you have an idea, please send it this way. If I could get into the SC Programmer code, I might be able to reverse engineer this myself.

Thanks for reading.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
I think I understand what you're getting at. If your PC is old enough to have a parallel printer port, here's a pretty simple interface: PC Output Interface

If you want to get fancy, look into some of the home automation and robotics stuff.

bobbyj

May 1, 2012
Bellingham, MA
I tried to do this a while back, but gave up due to time loss of necessity. I had the concept down, I just needed the commands. If you've got the commands, this actually wouldn't be that hard to do...so long as you have the correct hardware.

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
Attached is what SC Programmer Reports shows for EEProm.

I assume I can send this out through a serial port/serial port adapter using the Whelen Transporter (used to program the MPC and Messenger) to activate specific functions... I just don't know how. Like, "Enter EEProm code," then hit enter or something... like adding a link to an image or icon.

Reverse engineering this code should tell me what is what... some systems may only have two, or one, or four of a device (BL627, BL420, BL405, or the like).

This specific code is for a BL10K, one BL627, and one ISP94, with their user-defined functions. Changing this and comparing the changes should let me know what I should send out to do what, and that's the fun of it. There may even be a rhyme and reason to it.

105.JPG

bobbyj

May 1, 2012
Bellingham, MA
Yes, it's pretty much that simple. You just need to write code that will write to the serial port. I believe the SC stuff runs at 9600 baud on an rs485 network. So you could either get a RS485 port, or try to use the transport module. Through my trials, I also found out that the MPC sends out data even when no functions are activated. Only turning the power off stops the data flow. Figuring out what each hex block does is the hardest part.

irun4fundotca

Jul 7, 2016
Sydenham, Ontario
I know this thread is old, but I plan to make a color touch screen Panel to do just this, as soon as I get a main mpc01 controller to use my sniffer on to get the output changes needed for the various functions
I can then install the display in my dash to run various light functions with a touch screen on my old plow truck

The screen is a 4.3" Nextion HMI TFT screen and has its own processor and easy to use editor for content, http://wiki.iteadstudio.com/Nextion_HMI_Solution
you just need to create buttons and the codes they send out on the tx line already in place, there's an rx line in also for feedback and uploading to it is via ftdi basic

I have already programmed one for another solder reflow project that interfaces with arduino, or a Teensy 3.1

Attachments

• P7060228.JPG
    P7060228.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 1
  • P7060229.JPG
    P7060229.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 2
  • P7060230.JPG
    P7060230.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 1

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.