Whelen Single Talon Schematic

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Does anyone have, or know where there is, a schematic for a Whelen passive single talon...? I'm trying to get one that I have to work... The main problem looks like the "jump pin" looking connector is broken, but if I can find out what pin does what I can make it work...

Here's a pic of the back of the board. The "jump pin" that I'm talking about is at the lower right hand corner. There are 4 pins that come from the back of the lighthead board, through the heat sink, then into the pictured power board.

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Mobile_20Uploads_IMG_20100912_204942.jpg

Also the pattern select button (the square block on the left side in the middle) is busted out... To change the flash pattern (if and when I get it working), I would just need to jump across the contacts in the button housing, correct...?

Any help would be appreciated... Thanks guys!!!

- Tim

Radio Tech

May 27, 2010
Vermont
Get a new tactical style switch and replace it. I wouldn't suggest just jumpering over one set of contacts, do both.

Any of your local radio repair shops (Read: Motorola Service Centers) should be able to repair it for you, even though it's not a radio. A good TV repair shop, or electric repair shop should be able to as well. They can probably replace those jumper board pins as well.

SHouldn't cost more then 25$ or 30$ to have it look "factory" again.

Radio Tech

May 27, 2010
Vermont
Look for a part number, or open up another Talon and get the P/N off the non-broken switch. Digi-Key or Mouser will have it. 5 minutes with a soldering iron and a bit of soldering wick - and you'll be all set.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Yeah, there's no part number on it that I can see... Unless its on the back side of it (between it and the board)...

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Sorry to bring back my dead thread, but I got an idea in my head for this lighthead and I would really like to know what the 4 pins are...

They are the 4 pins on the lower right side of the board, on the right of the screw on the above listed picture... I will assume that at least 1 is a ground and atleast 1 is a power... I've searched the net and Whelens site with no avail...

Again, any help would be appreciated...

- Thanks

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
EmerVehSolutions said:
I honestly can't remember I have since put it back together, what part of the 4 pins are broken?

The pins are fine, it's the "jump pin" looking thing that slides over it that's broken... And I have no clue what it's actually called, or a part number so I can replace it... so I figured it would be just as easy to "hard wire" it... LOL

May 24, 2010
East Longmeadow, MA
Tim-

Just took a talon apart this morning to check it out, the "jump pin" thing you are talking about doesn't actually make any electrical contact its purpose is the stabilize the 4 pins, essentially it is there to keep the pins from touching one another

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
SireLite said:
You should be able to pick those up from a computer shop. As they are often used on the back of hard-disk drives.

It's called a Jumper.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.techstore.co.uk/products/134193_4.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumper_%28computing%29

Yes, but they are all 2-pin, and I know they are called jumpers... I didn't know if Whelen called it a different name since it's for 4-pins...

EmerVehSolutions said:
Tim-
Just took a talon apart this morning to check it out, the "jump pin" thing you are talking about doesn't actually make any electrical contact its purpose is the stabilize the 4 pins, essentially it is there to keep the pins from touching one another

Thanks, I'll have to dig mine out and play around with it at work tonight...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.