Whelen Spectir8 getting warm

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Hello all,

Having problems finding information or reviews on the Whelen Spectir8, if I missed a thread on here, please post a couple links and lock this thread.

Anywho, my woman got herself a new car and is being picky about what light goes in her shiny brand new baby. Have caught a couple runs while in her car so waiting to get a triple threat for her car isn't going to happen.

Now, I have a couple dash lights sitting around, one being a Spectir8, and I think she'll be fine with the size of the light.

Here's my questions:

1. With the top of the clear lens being exposed, has anyone had issues with the sun drowning out the LEDs? If so, what did you do to help solve the problem? Strip of electric tape on the top of the lense?

2. After having the unit on to cycle through flash patterns to make a selection, I noticed the top of the unit was pretty damn warm. Do these lights have an overheating issue? What issues do these lights tend to have?

I do have a single Predator II I can use, the Spectir8 just seems to have a better footprint.

All help is appreciated.

got_yogurt

May 21, 2010
BC, Canada
Having seen the predator II and spectir I would say you're better off with the predator, I found it to be a bit brighter and better off axis... you might want to compare them yourself.

As for the rest I can't help unfortunately, never heard of them running hot but I don't know

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
The spec is good for head on and that's about it. They do get decently warm because of the number of leds in the size but should never be hot enough to burn you

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.