Whelen strobe retrofit with Feniex (Fire Apparatus)

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
Replaced a dying strobe system with Feniex Cannon hideaways. Customer LOVED it because they didn't have to replace the fixtures. The rear strobe beacons were replaced with Feniex Cobra Mini lightbars with the module facing the truck deleted.

Customer wanted the rear Cobra Mini bars to have a simulated rotator look.... the pattern they chose is as close as I think it comes. We opted for the fast/slow alternating as a compromise to me saying "SLOW AND SYNCED"

Thoughts?

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Interesting idea putting the Cannons in the housings. I would like to see a daylight video to see how effective it really is though. I am NOT a fan of the mini-bars on the rear in place of the beacons. They look hideous!

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I too would've preferred a different pattern on the minibars, but it otherwise looks like a great upgrade

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
The cannons look awesome in there but I'd love to see a video in daylight at around 100 yards away.

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
I like the mini on the back. I would have opened them and reset the patterns and alternated master slave master slave. Full light instead of split. Probably could have gotten the simulated rotator look. Could have synced the rear outside with the front side bumper and the minis could sync. Great video thought. Thanks

I just ordered T6 modules to replace the 6 tir modules on my mini so I can sync the front and rear of my truck with the cannons I have installed.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
SirenWorld.com said:
Replaced a dying strobe system with Feniex Cannon hideaways. Customer LOVED it because they didn't have to replace the fixtures. The rear strobe beacons were replaced with Feniex Cobra Mini lightbars with the module facing the truck deleted.

Customer wanted the rear Cobra Mini bars to have a simulated rotator look.... the pattern they chose is as close as I think it comes. We opted for the fast/slow alternating as a compromise to me saying "SLOW AND SYNCED"

Thoughts?

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

tsquale said:
Interesting idea putting the Cannons in the housings. I would like to see a daylight video to see how effective it really is though. I am NOT a fan of the mini-bars on the rear in place of the beacons. They look hideous!

foxtrot5 said:
The cannons look awesome in there but I'd love to see a video in daylight at around 100 yards away.

:iagree: :iagree:

What a difference!! A GREAT economical way to upgrade! Keep housings, save on replacing with higher cost similarly sized LEDs (i.e. 700 series strobe to LED swap)!!!

But I do echo the above comments, need to see daylight video!!

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
Thanks for the feedback. I've gotta go back and flip the Mini bars.... They want the red on the left, blue on the right... Maybe I'll be able to "adjust" the pattern then :)

DJIceman97

Dec 22, 2012
Northeast Kentucky
Awesome! We plan on doing the same thing to our Mobile Command/Rehab truck soon. It's an old International ambulance, they already replaced the lightbar with a Code 3 knockoff (bleh), front/side 900's are halogen and the rear are strobe, along with 3 strobes along the sides.

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
JW 4x4 said:
What about NFPA compliance?

What they had wasn't NFPA compliant... so really we're ahead! There's no white to the rear, is there anything else I missed?

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
lafd55 said:
It's not like NFPA is law anyways. As long as it works, why not.

I really hope you were being sarcastic here....

It only "doesn't matter" until 'something happens' and a lawyer gets involved...

Jan 8, 2014
IL
I know that this thread is a few months old but isn't red (when in light bars) supposed to be on the drivers side?

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
emergency_ram12 said:
I know that this thread is a few months old but isn't red (when in light bars) supposed to be on the drivers side?

Can you cite a source, research study, document, law etc.... That says so? Never heard of this before.

Jan 8, 2014
IL
Zapp Brannigan said:
Can you cite a source, research study, document, law etc.... That says so? Never heard of this before.

I thought I read it in the 1901 but I cannot seem to find it. It was probably my imagination. Because I couldnt remember where I saw it I was just looking for clarification.

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
emergency_ram12 said:

I actually installed the red Cobra Mini bar on the drivers side and then had to come back and swap it to the passenger side... apparently their apparatus are set up backwards from the usual Red=Driver Blue=Passenger set up. Weird, but to each their own I guess. :confused:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.