Whelen Tracer & Ram 1500 / 3500 Mounting

Fireguy

Feb 12, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm looking to purchase/install Whelen Tracers on a 2016 Ram 1500 crew cab as well as a 2017 Ram 3500 Mega Cab. The issue is when I look at the Whelen site (and speak to a distributor) they all say that the 6 module is the one for both setups and it comes with a specific mounting kit. Both vehicles have the factory running boards (the 1500 has three mounts, the 3500 only has two). With the factory running boards in place I have to assume the modules will go out in front of the mounting brackets. Then when I review the specs it says that the modules are 1.75" deep, which means they stick out past the edge of the rocker panel if my math is correct.

My question is has anyone installed these on a Ram with factory running boards, and if so do they stick out enough that they can be stepped on if getting out of the truck? I can downsize to the 5 module one which will fit between the two mounts of the running board but that means I will have to modify the mounting brackets so they mount further back. I'd rather not drop $2k on these if they won't work out. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jdip

May 26, 2010
Mooresville , NC
I have a 1500 and was planning on a set of nlines if I could find them used. I confirmed I would have to take my factory running boards off to mount them especially because of the pinch weld
They will work with aftermarket running boards since aftermarket boards don't use the pinch weld bolts to mount the brackets. You maybe able to make it work with the 3500 with the smaller length between the two mounts. The 1500 will be tough 1500 unless you swap the style of running boards you have to the rectangular version similar to your 3500. The plastic is a cover and at the very top of the mounting bracket are the pinch weld bolts so not sure how pretty modifying the bracket cover would be. Good luck let me know if you figure things out since I'm still shopping. Just don't feel like spending the money on a tracer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.