Whelen ULF44 Question(s)

AggiePhil

Jul 17, 2010
Southwest
So this flasher has four output channels. How many lightheads (such as the LINZ6) can I connect together to one of those channels? In other words, can I connect three red LINZ6s to Channel 1 and three blue LINZ6s to Channel 3, in order to have it alternate between red and blue? Unless each lighthead HAS to have its own channel, I don't think I need four.

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
You could put about (5) LINZ6s per channel.

ULF44 = 5 amps per channel

LINZ6 = 750ma max draw

of course, you could have 10 red alternate with 10 blue because 2 channels are going to alternate with 2 other channels on certain patterns within the ULF44.

I have (8) lightheads connected to my ULF44, (2) per channel.

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l41_Pimpala03_06Sierra_ULF44Wiring.jpg

AggiePhil

Jul 17, 2010
Southwest
Alright well how about this. If I'm going to have the following setup, which channels do you think I should wire each lighthead into?

Front:

Red LINZ6

Blue LINZ6

Sides:

Split R/B LINZ6 (one to each side)

Rear:

Red LINZ6

Blue LINZ6

I'd love to have the side LINZ6s just be on their own flash pattern, rapidly going back and forth between red and blue (rapid single flash, I guess). But I'm wanting to be able to dim them with all the others, so I guess they need to tie into the ULF44 as well.

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
Use the internal flasher on the side LINZ6s as you can only flash the whole head so it would end up looking purple, so set it to a split pattern to get the 2 colors alone. I also am not quite sure why you want the ULF44 unless you have a specific pattern in mind that the LINZ6s dont have.

AggiePhil

Jul 17, 2010
Southwest
usdemt said:
I also am not quite sure why you want the ULF44 unless you have a specific pattern in mind that the LINZ6s dont have.
Really just for the dimming ability. Is there any other way to dim LINZ6s? Oh, and I like the pattern override option so I can basically have two patterns preset.

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
AggiePhil said:
Really just for the dimming ability. Is there any other way to dim LINZ6s? Oh, and I like the pattern override option so I can basically have two patterns preset.

Gotcha wasnt thinking of that. That make sense then, but I still wouldnt flash the side one off of the flasher, or trade them in for solid colors so you can get the Mode 2 and dim and not have a purplish light.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
Mixing colors is never good. Alternating colors in a smaller lighthead is usually not desirable, either. I'd alternate them on their own flasher at a slower rate so folks can see the two colors.

AggiePhil

Jul 17, 2010
Southwest
Good points, thanks guys. I wish there was an easier way to dim the Whelen lightheads though. Surely it could be done with the proper resistors, no? Electrical science is my biggest weak spot when it comes to lighting. Physics was NOT my strong suit in college. :D

AggiePhil

Jul 17, 2010
Southwest
And correct me if I'm wrong guys, but when using the LINZ6s connected to the ULF44, I'm gonna have to set them on Steady Burn and then select the pattern with the ULF44, right? Is that why the ULF44 won't work with split lighthead patterns (at least, not at this time)?

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Well I have a Question about this flasher then.... I was thinking about one and hooking up the following.

Single Predator Grille Lights

Sound Off LED HAWs in my corner lights

Sound Off Intersector Mirror Beams

single Predators on side of pushbar

single Predators in side rear windows.

philter74

May 27, 2010
Nyack, NY
AggiePhil said:

Just something to keep in the back of your mind: a lighthead with an internal flasher, even when set to steady burn, will not take well to being "dimmed" by an external flasher.

AggiePhil

Jul 17, 2010
Southwest
philter74 said:
Just something to keep in the back of your mind: a lighthead with an internal flasher, even when set to steady burn, will not take well to being "dimmed" by an external flasher.
Did not know that. Why is it?

May 20, 2010
Hamilton, Ohio
I have got a question in regards to the ULF44 if anyone knows. I have a 14-head code3 rx2700 on my cruiser and the flash patterns that code3 has are terrible. Can I run all 14 heads off of one ULF44?

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
Well this would not be the first time i am hearing that it is not wise to screw with the voltage on a light head that was not designed to be utilized in that way. If you get a tir3 that does high/low power that is one thing. Connecting a head that is meant to be kept at a steady voltage is another, which could lead to a company not honoring the warrantee should there be problems down the road.

I actually damaged a 500 series (2 wire model) head by dimming it through the ULF44...

Daniel

May 21, 2010
Leiden, the Netherlands
AggiePhil said:
Guys, is what Philter74 said about internal flasher lightheads not working well in dimming modes true? I'd never heard that before.

I had mixed results. couple of years ago I used a ULF44 two flash 4 lin3,two lin6 and two older par36 tir6's. All the lights had internal flashers, all set to steady burn. The Lin lights all worked fine, but the TIR6 (the variant with 5 flash patterns) would go out when dimming. When I restored full power the TIR6 came on again, without damage.

regards, Daniël

xcrownvicx

Dec 3, 2011
New Jersey
Hi there I need some wiring help with a ulf44 flasher unit, this is what I want. I really want a nice clean sync install. Thanks

Vehicle 2003 Grand Marquis:

Front:

4 blue linz6s x pattern in grille

2 blue dual avengers (if units can do so?)

Sides: 2 blue/white ghosts (not using on ulf44)

Rear: blue rear inner edge

near future 2 blue single avengers in rear and 2 blue linz6s on license plate

xcrownvicx

Dec 3, 2011
New Jersey
shues said:
The install manual for the ULF44 is here: http://www.whelen.com/install/141/14103.pdf

When purchasing your new Avengers, make sure to purchase the sync-model. If your existing avengers originally came with cigar cords, see this thread: http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/whelen-avenger-sync-31138/

Ok read that thread. Now I have a dual avenger with the cord on it so I can sync them still to the ulf44 flasher? And when people say " steady burn" does that mean steady steady meaning both lightheads are just on. Thanks

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
Jasen Hatfield said:
I have got a question in regards to the ULF44 if anyone knows. I have a 14-head code3 rx2700 on my cruiser and the flash patterns that code3 has are terrible. Can I run all 14 heads off of one ULF44?

Use 2 ULF44's...one for the front and one for the rear....depending on what you want for a pattern the ULF28 can be found for dirt cheap and it has 8 outlets but has limited patterns...

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
emtanderson51 said:
Use 2 ULF44's...one for the front and one for the rear....depending on what you want for a pattern the ULF28 can be found for dirt cheap and it has 8 outlets but has limited patterns...

Did you really just quote and answer a post from almost 3 years ago...? lol

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
Xcrownvic. Yes the steady burn on a cig avenger steady burns both of the heads. Hence when wired to a ulf44 the dual avenger will flash the pattern selected. It will be a big footprint!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.