Whelen Ultra Edge and MPC01

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
Hi everyone! So I'm beginning to wonder if I got in over my head with a new light bar project. I recently picked up a Whelen Ultra Edge 9000. I bought an MPC01 and the siren amplifier box BL627 for it. When I originally bought it I noticed fuses were blown in the two rear side power supplies. I replaced the fuses, applied power to the light bar again and the same two fuses blew. I found that two power supplies on the back of the bar were bad. I bought power supplies and replaced them. Now when I apply power no fuses blow anywhere! After I finally solved the blowing fuses issue, I hooked up the MPC01 controller to the light bar. The MPC01 control turns on just fine, the led's blink and I can hear a relay click then it's ready to go. I thought I'd be ready to see some strobe lights flash finally, but when I slide the slider switch or press an accessory button (like alley/takedown) nothing at all happens. No lights light up! The MPC01 controller lights flash when the slider switch is moved and if I press "left alley" that little light stays on solid until I turn the alley off. When I slide the slider switch the lights blink (the same way in each position) and not in some designated pattern like I've seen in some videos. (Sign of controller not being programmed?) This particular light bar on the front has two longer flash tubes (one on each end), then 2 halogen takedown bulbs, 2 small flash tubes then two split reflectors, tubes on top and halogen on the bottom. Right alley, left alley. One the back of the bar it has two long tubes (one on each end) and then 6 shorter tubes in the middle. (See pictures!!) I'm mainly familiar with halogen light bars or light bars that have a wire for each accessory...my knowledge of Whelen B-Link Serial communications bars like this is very limited so any suggestions will help!

The cables with this light bar, the main red and black power wires. The control cable only has 3 wires coming out of it, bare, blue and grey.

Here's my few questions after reading some posts and watching some videos:

1. You only need the MPC01 to run the bar, right? (You don't need to use the BL627 siren amplifier in line with the MPCO1 do you?) You only need the BL627 to run the sire speaker, correct?

2. I was told this light bar has two "too many" flash tubes. Is that true or would it make a difference?

3. There's a small black box mounted inside the front side of the light bar in the middle...not as long as the power supplies...do you know what that is??

4. Is there any way to test the main power board to make sure it's good or needs to be replaced? (Fuses on it are good.)

5. I'm guessing from what the lights on the MPC01 do the MPC01 is not programmed (possibly) . . . does anyone know someone who can program MPC01 controllers and how much the person would charge to program it??

Thank you,

Doug219018219019219020219021

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Doug,

My guess is the mpc01 programming needs to be evaluated. That would be first step... you could also pull the strobe tubes and put them on a known working PS to test they aren’t blown. But it sounds to me like the mpc01 may not be configured correctly.

Being that you purchased the mpc01 separate from the bar it could of been programmed for anything. The serial nature of these bars makes the mpc01 look for certain devices with certain addresses... think ip addresses. If things aren’t configured correctly... you get whacky things happening.

I have a thread about a cheap transporter to program the mpc01... search for it. There are also people here on the board who do the programming.

Good Luck,
Seth

Reactions: DLBFalcon

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
Doug,

My guess is the mpc01 programming needs to be evaluated. That would be first step... you could also pull the strobe tubes and put them on a known working PS to test they aren’t blown. But it sounds to me like the mpc01 may not be configured correctly.

Being that you purchased the mpc01 separate from the bar it could of been programmed for anything. The serial nature of these bars makes the mpc01 look for certain devices with certain addresses... think ip addresses. If things aren’t configured correctly... you get whacky things happening.

I have a thread about a cheap transporter to program the mpc01... search for it. There are also people here on the board who do the programming.

Good Luck,
Seth
Thank you, Seth! I'm guessing it's the MPC01 not being programmed as well. Hopefully I can find someone to program it. Have a great weekend!

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Sure thing. Whelen has historically given the software out for free if u call them. I found a way to make a 20 dollar transporter that works for the mpc01 and Whelen messenger... maybe the easiest way to go so u can easily tweak programming.

Good luck!
Seth

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
If the mpc01 is all ready programmed for some other bar it won't do diddly for yours, though the siren box ( bl627 ) will work just fine as long as it's addressed correctly, make sure the dip switch is set to be the first address, if nothing happens switch it to the second address. After that one of the other members pointed to a 6.00 programmer you can get and a few of us have the software to program it with.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
As for the flash tubes ( strobes ) that's a bunch manure, it's designed that way, 2 power supplies to handle all that, even my mini edge had 2 supplies for all the strobes.
Don't know what #3 is without pics cause I'm not sure on the ultra edge.

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
Sure thing. Whelen has historically given the software out for free if u call them. I found a way to make a 20 dollar transporter that works for the mpc01 and Whelen messenger... maybe the easiest way to go so u can easily tweak programming.

Good luck!
Seth
Whelen sent me a CD that has the software on it, but I don't have any computer hardware / transporter and I've never used the software before either. I'm trying to find someone that I can mail my control to and have them program it. I'll pay for shipping to/from and for them to program it.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Fair enough. I think there are several people here on the board who are much more familiar with the mpc01 programming then I am. Do some searches for “b-link” “blink” “Whelen serial” “mpc01” and “smart messenger.” I’m sure you’ll find someone who can help.

Only thing I don’t know is if they’ll be able to setup the addresses correctly for the lightbar without the lightbar hooked up to be recognized.

Good Luck,
Seth

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
Fair enough. I think there are several people here on the board who are much more familiar with the mpc01 programming then I am. Do some searches for “b-link” “blink” “Whelen serial” “mpc01” and “smart messenger.” I’m sure you’ll find someone who can help.

Only thing I don’t know is if they’ll be able to setup the addresses correctly for the lightbar without the lightbar hooked up to be recognized.

Good Luck,
Seth
I hope not...can't afford to ship the bar, too, with what they weigh. Thank you for all the help! Hopefully I can figure out something!

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
Well, found a guy who sells the MPC01 with programming so I ordered one. He says you don't have to have the light bar connected while programming the MPC01. Hopefully it works when it gets here. I'll have to post an update.

Reactions: C17LVFD and Tony P

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
Got the MPC01 controller the guy programmed for me today and...**drumroll** the light bar works!! The alleys, takedowns, wigwags, all-bar, rear-only all work! So if you have a B-Link it doesn't need to be hooked up to the controller when being programmed. Sure has been "fun" getting this bar going again! Here's a link to a very short video if you'd like to see the "all-bar" function. (It was starting to rain so only made a short video.) Video:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.