Whelen unknown

busbart

Apr 2, 2011
FRANCE
Hello all,

Probably not unknown for a lot of you, but to me it says nothing (for the moment).

the technican description is: Edge 9000, date:04/01, assy# 460, 49", model9622 (as far as i could determine, the "9" was very difficult to decipher)

serial#:313474.

what i like to know is, is the color configuration as in the pictures original?

are these halogens meant as takedown lights, or as flashers?

and why are the end caps totally white with an end flasher in white?

i've never seen the combination red flasher/worklight with strobe before?

and can somebody tell me in what situation to use which light, or combination of lights?

Thanks a lot on beforehand!

ai387.photobucket.com_albums_oo317_busbart_Whelen_Whelen7.jpg

ai387.photobucket.com_albums_oo317_busbart_Whelen_Whelen10.jpg

ai387.photobucket.com_albums_oo317_busbart_Whelen_Whelen4.jpg

ai387.photobucket.com_albums_oo317_busbart_Whelen_Whelen3.jpg

ai387.photobucket.com_albums_oo317_busbart_Whelen_Whelen8.jpg

ai387.photobucket.com_albums_oo317_busbart_Whelen_Whelen1.jpg

ai387.photobucket.com_albums_oo317_busbart_Whelen_Whelen2.jpg

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
Alot of our fire trucks have the white outer caps... I don't know who chose to do that but someone did though. You can change the the lenses to whatever color you wish. I don't think Whelen associated model numbers with colored lenses back then with the strobes. They do today though with LED color. As far as the module goes that's a duplex alley light/strobe combo. It was supposed to be a better option than from having one alley light and and angled strobe to the front and rear. Now you have one strobe on the side for complete intersection warning. Same with the front of your bar. Two strobes on top of each other in which is known also as a duplex module. And yes the white lights in the front are whats known as take downs, well that is unless you put the bar on backwards then they would be worklights. I don't know if your particular model can flash those lights or not. Some are just meant to steady burn only. Maybe someone else can chime in about that. Are these the answers you're looking for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dave F

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I will help you the best I can and will try to use easy words since I do not speak French.

what i like to know is, is the color configuration as in the pictures original? Based on what I think you are asking, the color can be changed. You can make the red blue with new lenses

are these halogens meant as takedown lights, or as flashers? The halogens can be both takedown lights and flashers, based on how you want it.

and why are the end caps totally white with an end flasher in white? Some police like white on the end of the bar for when their car is turned side ways. I do not.

and can somebody tell me in what situation to use which light, or combination of lights? In France, I think you can only use blue. In America, it depends on the state.

busbart

Apr 2, 2011
FRANCE
I will help you the best I can and will try to use easy words since I do not speak French.

what i like to know is, is the color configuration as in the pictures original? Based on what I think you are asking, the color can be changed. You can make the red blue with new lenses

are these halogens meant as takedown lights, or as flashers? The halogens can be both takedown lights and flashers, based on how you want it.

and why are the end caps totally white with an end flasher in white? Some police like white on the end of the bar for when their car is turned side ways. I do not.

and can somebody tell me in what situation to use which light, or combination of lights? In France, I think you can only use blue. In America, it depends on the state.
I don't know, it's how I got the lightbar.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The duplex series came out right before the 9m and featured a dual level end cap as well as dual level front and rear options. You could order dual level ends with a dual level front/rear options or either on their own. It was not uncommon to see just the ends and center setup dual level like this bar. I have a true "dual all around" bar in my collection and it really is more of an oddity. Stacking the half height strobes and halogens wasn't terribly effective. Soon after LEDs came along and dual level strobe/halogen was a thing of the past. I have pamphlet that shows the time period when the duplex bars, 9000 and ultra bars were all being made. The 9000s were phased out soon after that.

The lenses on yours look wrong on the driver side, unless that is a red steady burn that side should mirror the blue side.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 19

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.