Whelen Vertex Lightbar on FDNY Sprinter& Bus

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Yeah, looks more like 10 Vertexs surface mounted... Just in the front I counted 16 Vertex heads (assuming that there are 2 just behind the passengers head light as there is on the drivers side) Thats a lot of Vertexs... lol

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I have not seen this lit up yet, and was not able to get a picture, Ft. Worth PD has at least one Tahoe that has 4 vertex mounted facing down under the spoiler. This is instead of the outer edge, two spaced out on either side of the third brake light. With the output of the new LED HAW style heads being this good, I think we will start seeing more unique applications of them.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
Maybe they knew that if they surface mounted anything else there would be a thread here about the lights being aimed at the sky at a 45 degree angle.

I think at least half and half would have been a little more effective

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
HILO said:
I have not seen this lit up yet, and was not able to get a picture, Ft. Worth PD has at least one Tahoe that has 4 vertex mounted facing down under the spoiler. This is instead of the outer edge, two spaced out on either side of the third brake light. With the output of the new LED HAW style heads being this good, I think we will start seeing more unique applications of them.

A shop here in San Antonio does the same crap with competitor series vertex. Looks like poo, they also mount those craptastic vertex facing down above the rear LP on the hatch.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Decisions decisions...spend money on a dozen split vertexes that will only be visible at night, or go with a lightstick/lightbar? I'm guessing the build was done by odyssey, so, needless to say, they probably spent too much on the vertex to begin with (even though odyssey is more than capable of making a ledge to mount a lightbar, as do all ambo manufacturers on sprinters). Glad to see it has a good sync pattern (kinda like Hawai'i EMS), but surface mount vertexes are really useless between sunrise & sunset

Honestly, I don't know how so many ppl still think the vertex is the greatest thing since sliced bread!?!? Yes, it was an good idea when it was released, but they haven't really updated it since it's release, so it now ranks low on the LAW standings (IMO). Huge disappointment on the division & batt. chief trucks that they use double vertexes as intersection warning b/c they used to use large, real lightheads on the excursion BC trucks & their current dodge ambos have M-series for intersection (which blow vertexes out of the water)

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
ghey. and a waste. :suicide: :hopeless:

would have been so much more effective, and less cost prohibitive, to surface mount some 400s, 600s, 700s, 900s, M4s, M7s, or M9s.

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Wow, the fail is strong with that Sprinter. Would have been more cost effective to run an inner edge, or similar, and would probably be more effective warning. The Vertex, and similar, lights have their place but that's not it.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Now what the hell is wrong with the FDNY. They're usually very good at coming up with nice lighting packages (even if it's sometimes a little overdone) for all their vehicles. This thing is preposterous, I can't fathom why someone would think it's a good idea to use a bunch of tiny little lightheads instead of, say, a full f@#king lightbar. The install must have been a pain too, in order to get them all even, installed and sync'd. Let's hope they break soon so somebody will realize that they should just put a lightbar on the thing.

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
These Vehicles, Rarely if Ever Respond, or are even lit up. The one near my house has the same sprinter same setup. 10 Vertexes on the top, What i think are red ions ni the grille, and HLF, w/ Red HAW.

They are never ever used and rarely move much so i guess they thought it was a good idea to just "throw some extra vertexes on it" For all we know they were probably blown out at such a cheap price that FDNY practically got em for free. and even if im wrong, ill pretend im right to keep my confidence high in this lovely city!

but it is an interesting idea haha

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.