Whelen WeCan repurpose?

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
Okay, had a thought, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if I'm crazy (opr rather, crazier than normal).

I'm still in the process of outfitting my F150. While I'm planning on utilizing a Unitrol 330, because I'm familiar with their operation and I had one in my first build (I'm nostalgic) pictures included - this one from Greystone's thread - for those who have no idea what I'm talking about:

1603471583022.png

I know they're unsupported (<angry>It's only been 30 years!!!</angry>), so I started looking at other options. I was thinking about a CenCom variant, but I'm trying to have a lower profile in my truck than a full panel.

Along the way I found the Whelen WCC9 controller online :

1603471100069.png

I like it, but I saw it's intended for use with a WeCan system (like those found in the Justice and Freedom bars). If I could use them on a CenCom Gold I'd have bought one already.

Recently I've also seen a ton of the WeCan Control Points for sale for pretty fair prices:

1603471295237.png

I know the control points are designed to fit into various light bars and perform certain tasks.

My question is - has anyone seen the control modules repurposed for non-lightbar applications? Is it possible?

Does anyone have a link to a wiring / pinout diagram? I haven't been able to find one (although I'm on duty so my search has been brief).

Thanks folks.

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
Basically, you want to use the WeCan control point as a flasher?

Nope, unless it has that option. If I needed a flasher and light control I thought my only option is the Carbide, but I'm happy to be proven wrong. I'm looking for a control that will allow me to select the following:

Level 1 - perimeter lights (corner or rear bumpers and fog light nacelles)
Level 2 - rear cap lights and rear facing bar
Level 3 - grille and dash lights and HL flashers (on park switch)

The kicker is that I also need to have two color controls, one for blue (fire/EMS) and one for amber (construction).

I modified the 330 to have two split switches - the first will activate relays (the only way I can figure out to do it) to allow blue, amber or both. The second switch activates left or right arrow function for the TA feature in the rear bar (both is center-out), but I'm still assembling components and want to get enough to make a test board and verify function before I install it and find out it's FUBAR.

If I could use the WCC9 with a CenCom Gold or Sapphire I wouldn't mind (even though I have a separate siren already), but I believe it's incompatible.

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
A Whelen smart logic flasher might suit your needs.
This probably isn't kosher to the community but I use to have my whole car run off a Whelen liberty IO board installed in a project box. Gave me the wecan functionality I wanted and it plugged right into my cencom but you could also plug it into the wecan control point. This was before smartlogic and carbide was available and before you could find cantrols for sale on ebay

Reactions: RS485

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
A Whelen smart logic flasher might suit your needs.
This probably isn't kosher to the community but I use to have my whole car run off a Whelen liberty IO board installed in a project box. Gave me the wecan functionality I wanted and it plugged right into my cencom but you could also plug it into the wecan control point. This was before smartlogic and carbide was available and before you could find cantrols for sale on ebay

You know, that just might work, and probably for less hassle than mucking around trying to adapt a WeCan box. I'm not above DIY (as seen by my 330 project) but my wife has helped me acknowledge that my time is worth money. (I always thought I'd have more free time after I retired)

8 inputs means I could select one for each color and warning level. Now I wonder if the WCC9 would interface (it will probably have to be a one-off)...

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
The WCC9 (and Control Point) exchange very lightbar-specific messages over "CANbus" (the blue/green wire-pair). I just don't see how this connects to a smart-logic flasher.

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
The WCC9 (and Control Point) exchange very lightbar-specific messages over "CANbus" (the blue/green wire-pair). I just don't see how this connects to a smart-logic flasher.
Dammit.... I was afraid you (or someone else) were going to say that. I'm so used to the slide switch. I looked into the Brookings/SoS 99x series programmable switch panels, but it's only got 6 outputs, so I'd have to have another box to use my TA.

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
Sorry! but I didn't want to see you throw $$ out the window. I gotta say though, I dig @FusionWolfs not-so-kosher repurposing of the Liberty I/O controller. That was cool!

No, no, I appreciate it. The ability to use the WCC9 is the reason I'd think about following his example, but with no clue as to what the control points can do, It'd be a lot of playing around. The tinkerer in me wouldn't mind it, but I don't have the ability to dedicate a week to diagramming the pinouts and various options.

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
No, no, I appreciate it. The ability to use the WCC9 is the reason I'd think about following his example, but with no clue as to what the control points can do, It'd be a lot of playing around. The tinkerer in me wouldn't mind it, but I don't have the ability to dedicate a week to diagramming the pinouts and various options.

Another option you might consider: an MPCxx controller connected to a BH8140 high-current switch. The MPC has a modest footprint, is programmable, and the BH8140 with 8 outputs, might be enough to drive your level1/2/3 blue/amber goal. I'm sure I'm not alone here in being willing to do the MPC programming for you if you wanted to avoid the Windows/PC/RS485 hell that sometimes occurs...and you'd have only two wires between the MPC and the BL8140.

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
Another option you might consider: an MPCxx controller connected to a BH8140 high-current switch. The MPC has a modest footprint, is programmable, and the BH8140 with 8 outputs, might be enough to drive your level1/2/3 blue/amber goal. I'm sure I'm not alone here in being willing to do the MPC programming for you if you wanted to avoid the Windows/PC/RS485 hell that sometimes occurs...and you'd have only two wires between the MPC and the BL8140.

I appreciate the offer. While I was familiar with the CenCon stuff (even downloaded the software), I didn't know the MPC existed.

I just looked at it, and it looks like it has a surprising number of functions in such a small size. Unfortunately, it also appears to be roughly the same size as a CenCom head, so it might be a bit big for my current thoughts (it's the same reason I considered and discarded the PCC series, Z3 and FS SS) . If this was 25 years ago, I'd outfit my POV like a duty rig in a heartbeat, but I've BTDT; now I want to be able to do the job without it impeding my day to day existence - like being able to fit 3 in my truck ;) - and in today's climate, leaving a vehicle that screams "OFFICIAL VEHICLE!" unattended may not be the wisest thing.

Last edited:

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
How about https://www.strobesnmore.com/whelens-all-new-8-position-key-pad-with-remote-relay-module.html ? Doesn't have slide switch but otherwise -- same footprint, no wecan, eight outputs!

I've thought about it (and the SoS SW830), maybe wired as
Amb1 Amb2 Amb3 TAL
Blue1 Blue2 Blue3 TAR

I may wind up going that route...I'm just addicted to my slide switch. I thought about the FedSig 6 switch, but it's like the WCC in that it's designed to work with specific bars.

LunaSingleton

Jun 30, 2021
I've thought about it (and the SoS SW830), maybe wired as
Amb1 Amb2 Amb3 TAL
Blue1 Blue2 Blue3 TAR

I may wind up going that route...I'm just addicted to my slide switch. I thought about the FedSig 6 switch, but it's like the WCC in that it's designed to work with specific bars.
Basically, you want to use the WeCan control point as a flasher?
can that be done? looking at the wecan control box (im no pro) i was looking up LED pattern controllers and it popped up. i was thinking the control box has plug and wires, cant you just hook the wires up to another companies lights on steady burn and the whelen device will tell them what to do? in patterns, even using the download software? because its a brain with wires just going to lights... ???

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
can that be done? looking at the wecan control box (im no pro) i was looking up LED pattern controllers and it popped up. i was thinking the control box has plug and wires, cant you just hook the wires up to another companies lights on steady burn and the whelen device will tell them what to do? in patterns, even using the download software? because its a brain with wires just going to lights... ???
The wecan control box has inputs that can be hooked up to anything. The only output is to a wecan device. It is not a flasher. If you had an io board from a wecan lightbar, you could program the wecan box to turn the io board into a flasher.

Reactions: Tango7

LunaSingleton

Jun 30, 2021
The wecan control box has inputs that can be hooked up to anything. The only output is to a wecan device. It is not a flasher. If you had an io board from a wecan lightbar, you could program the wecan box to turn the io board into a flasher.
thanks for your answer but i have no clue what that means lol. So, if i buy a wecan device, and bought a wecan io board thing, i can use it to control my lights? non whelen ?

LunaSingleton

Jun 30, 2021
thanks for your answer but i have no clue what that means lol. So, if i buy a wecan device, and bought a wecan io board thing, i can use it to control my lights? non whelen ?
you sound like the knowledge guy! Any clue what this thing is? https://www.ebay.com/itm/2646554312...=0&customid=link&campid=&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
the guy here says he doesnt know exactly what it does and i found one from federal signal, it likes like it has 16 ports, perfect for setting up 12 lights flash patterns, but, how the hell do your lights remember the patterns this programs or is there another device i need or is this thing nothing what it looks to me? Do you know of any device other than the flash patterns box like ULF44 that you can tell some sort of brain, maybe from a computer what and how to flash and download it or is that all just for whelen blink and the big companies ?

by the sounds of the original post, it seems that you want to connect that switch panel to the wecan control point,
that is not how those work, a wecan control point is not a flasher in any way, it is a controller as well. both of those items are meant to be programmed to control a wecan device such as a liberty light bar
you would need a wecan IO board setup to use as a flasher to do what you want
as for the comment right above this one that is a device used to program multiple lightheads with the same patterns quicker than just tapping the pattern wire. its mostly used by installers

Reactions: Tango7

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
by the sounds of the original post, it seems that you want to connect that switch panel to the wecan control point,
that is not how those work, a wecan control point is not a flasher in any way, it is a controller as well. both of those items are meant to be programmed to control a wecan device such as a liberty light bar
you would need a wecan IO board setup to use as a flasher to do what you want
Yeah, that post was before several others where I got edjumicated on the nuances of the Whelen system. While I started to think about using a WC I/O as the brains, I'm now keeping my eyes open for a Gen II Cantrol as it's going to be easier to use without having to incorporate SSR's and such for positive switched accessories.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.