When were wig-wag flashers first used for headlights and taillights?

Jun 4, 2012
New England
Forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong forum, but I've had this question on my mind for a few years: when did emergency vehicles first start using wig-wag flashers for the headlights and taillights?

Reactions: RL1

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
I think the headlight flasher started in the 70s but tail lights i think in the 80s or 90s i remember seeing old 70s police cars and fire trucks equipped with the headlight flashers

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
When people started opening and closing each eye independent of the other and said Hey!! What if we could make vehicles do this!!!
But I could be wrong

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
70's for wig-wag headlights. I remember using old school bus flashers and multi-pole switches
to make it work (we had limited budgets back then).
Not sure on the tail light ones.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Alternating headlight flashers surely go back to the 70s if not the 60s.
I think Sound-Off introduced taillight flashers with the Traffic Backer circa 1990.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Yup what people have posted, I have heard of headlight and even taillight wig-wags being used as far back as the 1960s. But the mid-80s is when they really started to take off. To this day, I often will notice the alternating headlights on an emergency vehicle before I notice the emergency red and blue lights.

Reactions: 2004p71 and SEPD_52

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Yup, I remember those as well. The Dodge Diplomat/Plymouth Grand Fury saw those with some agencies in the 80s...

And if that is not enough, perhaps even the marker lights wig-wagging, remember this one from Ferris Buler's day off? <evil grin> Fast forward to the 2:02 mark if you don't want to watch all of it. What a great movie.

Jul 14, 2014
NV
First say HLF in the late 70's in CA. CHP experimented with flashing both headlights together and wig way.

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
The instructions for the original Unitrol include using it for flashing headlamps and taillights, and that was in the 1970's IIRC.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
The instructions for the original Unitrol include using it for flashing headlamps and taillights, and that was in the 1970's IIRC.
Yeah I guess the highbeam overide trigger could signal the brakes. Or a relay to kill the flasher because otherwise the reverse lights would stay on too?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.