Which came first? Dietz or Yankee?

Rather than hijack another thread, I thought I would enlist the considerable knowledge base of my fellow eLB members on this enthralling topic (my wife, looking over my shoulder commented, "Only y'all would find his enthralling.")

Background:
As a young man growing up in Louisville, KY, I served as a volunteer on two rural fire departments and was most knowledgeable about FedSig products (in high school, I worked for a dealer). In 1975, The Jefferson County Police Dept. (JCPD) changed their patrol units from gold color with FedSig 174s and Q2Bs (on the hood)...
JCPD011.png
...to a blue & white color scheme and mounted a Dietz bar to the roof (with the humongous Q in the middle!).
IMG_0016.PNG

Assertions & Assumptions:
In my limited research, I concluded, very tentatively, that Dietz must have preceded Yankee as the Yankee catalogs I found with the 911 were post '75. Not conclusive, admittedly, but somewhat compelling evidence for such a conclusion. That conclusion was recently challenged (in a good natured way in another thread), that got me to thinking about which, truly, came first.

So I did some research and on Yankee (Yankee Metal Products Co. YMPC which is marked in the domes of the Yankee 911 bars) and I came across a very interesting tidbit: "On Thursday, April 07, 1977, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for YANKEE by YANKEE METAL PRODUCTS CORPORATION, NORWALK 06852. The USPTO has given the YANKEE trademark serial number of 73121995.... The correspondent listed for YANKEE is HUGH H. DIETZ of R.E. DIETZ COMPANY, P.O. BOX4833Y., SYRACUSE, N.Y. 13221...."
(http://www.trademarkia.com/yankee-73121995.html)

Inconclusive Evidence:
-The JCPD cop car is a '75 model (made from 75-78)
-Dietz bar is mounted on it
-Both bars are identical in design.
-Yankee was trademarked by Dietz in 1977
This still doesn't prove which bar was first--Dietz or Yankee.

The Call & Challenge:
Did Dietz rebrand Yankee or did Dietz buy Yankee and rebrand their own bar?
So...which bar came first, the Dietz or the Yankee? Operators are standing by....or, ladies and gentlemen, start your search engines!

Last edited:
Reactions: southpaw

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
The only bar that Dietz had in their October 1973 catalog was the squared off domed Omni-Chief 7-900/7-901.
The Omni-Chief came on the market about that time.
The Omni-Chief was not in the 1971 catalog but in the 1976 and 1981 catalogs.

The 911 do not exist in the 1977 Yankee catalog but in a later one I have it is offered. Unfortunatly I have not been able to located it so I have no date yet.

The 911 bar is in the last Dietz catalog I have, that of some reason is not dated and I do not remember when I got it but somewhere around 1985 I believe. It has only a number printed on the back of the cover that says MK 081-786. This might indicate 1986.
The Omni-Chief was cancelled at that time.

John Dorgan once told me that he believed Yankee was Dietz owned and this trademark information prove that.

Dietz could easily have delivered Yankee products under their own name way before they took over Yankee completely.

Dietz could have sold the 911 bar way before the Yankee close down because of their ownership.
They only needed to mold new end caps with the Dietz name on it and if the order was big enough they probably did.

When I have said that Dietz sold the 911 before they "bought" Yankee seems to be both right and wrong because that they already owned Yankee and could do whatever they wanted.

The 911 lens is marked YMPC and is never marked DZ which for me is a proof of that the bar was originally a Yankee product.

Michael

Last edited:

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
have you looked on the motors for dates? Did the type of motor change over time? Little clues like that can date a bar or beacon. The R. E. Dietz company was established in 1840. They are mostly known for making the best quality kerosene lanterns, which were used as emergency lights before electricity.

Dietz was bought by Federal Mogul on 08 March 1990.

Dietz sold their Syracuse plant in 1992.

The Federal Mogul Company sold all of its automotive lighting division, including what remained of the Dietz buyout, to the Truck-Lite Company in 2002.

Truck Lite had purchased Do-Ray in 1981 and then Signal-Stat in 2002.

Last edited:
Last edited:

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Post Dual-Comm.
This was the bar that Signal-Stat sold after their acquisition of Dietz in 1990.
Clearly a retrofit of the tow truck in the 90s.

Michael

Last edited:

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Back in the day when cars had enough juice to run mechanical sirens.

54powerwagon

Apr 23, 2018
Russell ohio
Ok I picked this bar up. Has dietz end caps but half mirrors between the rotator and flasher ? Any idea signal stat dietzor yankee??

Attachments

• F29E77E9-30E6-44A4-9EF8-95E51224778B.png
    F29E77E9-30E6-44A4-9EF8-95E51224778B.png
    689.1 KB · Views: 14

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.