Which new police vehicles , Ford, Dodge, and Chevy are in your area?

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
I noticed that a lot of departments in Connecticut are going with the new Fords. Both the sedan and the SUV. Then next behind it is the chargers. I have not seen a single Chevy Caprice yet in this state. I stick to mostly the western side of the state but its still a fairly large area. I personally like the chargers the most but its because of the looks and the way that it drives. I haven't driven the other two yet.

How does this compare to your areas?

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
Around here what Im hearing is that everyone hates the new Ford Sedan. Virginia Beach has bought a butt load of Caprices, I understand Norfolk has ordered Caprices, Portsmouth has the Dodge Chargers, Chesapeake went with the Fords, Newport News is still up in the air whether it will be Chargers or Caprices, but they said no more Fords, and I understand the State Police superintendent hates the new Fords, so they are probably going to the Chargers. I personally think the Caprice is the top dog of the three, followed by the Charger. I hate the Ford myself, from the looks of it all the way to the installation stand point. I think the police advisory committee did a horrible job giving their input on the design of the car. But thats just me. I know plenty of people love the new Fords.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
thsi would have been a good question to ask 2 years ago when they first came out...

county here has swapped all cars as they are being replaced with chargers. supervisors get tahoes.

city just got 4 chargers.

state has one caprice in the county and they dont like it.

next county over went all ford interceptors and interceptor suvs.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
My department has about 750 marked cruisers. We have Crown Vics, a couple old Impalas left, new Impalas, a couple Caprices, old Chargers, new Chargers, new Tauruses and new Explorers.

I have a 2007 Crown Vic that I have had since new. Currently have 92,000 miles on it. They tried to take it from me in 2009 and give me an 09 Impala... I refused to turn it in.

I've sat in the new Caprice and it feels cramped to me, much like the Impala. We just bought a couple of the first year models where they had console shifters. They was we mount our MDT's the shifter was UNDER the MDT. That seems like a safety issue to me, not being able to quickly change gears. I haven't driven it though. I know a sargeant that has one and he loves it cause its fast as blazes, but he is about 6 inches shorter than me.

I've sat in the new Chargers, they seem to have better visibility in the front (I'm 6-04) but they aren't fantastic. I would happily take one if they gave it to me though. I turned down the Charger in 2007 because I could not see out the front windshield. I haven't driven one, but one of my partner's has it and LOVES it! He is quite a bit shorter than me though.

I've sat in a new Taurus, seemed pretty nice but I didn't drive it and didn't have to get in and out and in and out a bunch of times like I would at work. Everyone I know LOVES theirs, but they are all much shorter than me. We bought a couple as testers with a couple different engine sizes.

I've driven our new Explorer a couple times and I love it except for one thing... the foot room is pretty tight. There is a foot rest to the left of the pedals and it leaves no room to stretch out my left leg while driving/sitting. Visibility was great, headroom was great, drivability was great... but I wished I could have stretched my left leg out straight every once in a while like I can in my Crown Vic. The Explorers are the regular V6 engine and they feel about as fast and powerful as my Crown Vic's V8. I can only imagine how fun the "better" engines will be!

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
Most everyone in Bucks County, Pa (N.E. Philadelphia) are going ford. My dad's department has 3 suv utilities at the shop starting to get up fitted. The twp my brother works for (public works), was not going to purchase anything this year, however after looking at their fleet and totaling 3 cars last year, they realized they needed order a few. They will be purchasing ford sedans. A few other twps have purchased a few ford sedans and utilities. Some departments in the upper part of the county have older chargers.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
The NYPD has a ridiculous mish-mash of cars . . . Impalas, Edges, Fusions, Tahoes, too many Altimas, a few left over Crown Vics and Chargers for the highway division. I personally don't much like the hybrids but I guess they're not bad as inner city patrol. For everything else, though, a city that's as rich as NYC should get all Chargers with hemis. Hard to outrun that. At least they have Vision SLR's.

Nothing but Crown Vics, Impalas, Tahoes and the odd Charger around my area.

Did see an unmarked Chrysler 300 in B'ham, that the Officer ruined the covert-ness by hitting the bullhorn when he got out.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
County and State are all buying chargers and tahoes. Cities are now moving back to ford.

State going back to white and blue means some sexy vehicles.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Pretty even mix of everything around here. The state drives a lot of chargers and Tahoes. It's rare to see a charger at any department except state patrol, at least in this part of Iowa.

Sheriff's Office has a couple tahoes and suburbans, but is still 99% impalas. They are switching to interceptors (mostly sedans, some utilities) over time. Lots of interceptor sedan's going into service for municipal PD's, with about 20% sprinkle of Caprice's thrown in here and there.

If I got to pick my next patrol vehicle, it'd probably be a Tahoe. And that's saying a lot, because I'm a Ford guy. If I didn't ever have to deal with snow, I'd take a Caprice over any of them. I've driven them all quite a bit and the Caprice just wins it for performance, IMO. I think we've come up with a pretty good layout for them too, to make having that console shifter not such a crappy deal. For road work, I just don't think you can beat the V8 RWD land yacht cars. Did I mention the Caprices are "holy sh*t" fast?

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Colorado State Patrol is using the Chargers, but I have seen a few Taurus and Caprice sedans which they are obviously testing.

Denver PD is going with the Taurus.

Aurora PD is finally able to retire their 10+ year old Vics and are using the Caprice. The officers I have spoken with love the performance, but those over 6'0" feel cramped in them.

The county I live in uses the Chargers (and they look DANG good)

The county I used to work for had a few chargers to replace the Crown Vics, but seem to now be going with the Taurus and Explorer.

Rumor has it that Ford is really pushing hard and offering huge discounts to the fleets.

delcofirecop

Jul 22, 2012
usa pa
the city has a bit of everything and buys a bit of everything new the county I am in and the surrounding county tend to be buying new dodges and fords only.

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
Still have some Crown Vic's rolling around here, but we mostly have Chargers. I've seen one Carprice and one Ford Interceptor SUV. A few of the neighboring counties have Tahoes, but they're few and far between. Charger's are pretty well ruling the roost here.

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
Jarred J. said:
thsi would have been a good question to ask 2 years ago when they first came out...

county here has swapped all cars as they are being replaced with chargers. supervisors get tahoes.

city just got 4 chargers.

state has one caprice in the county and they dont like it.

next county over went all ford interceptors and interceptor suvs.

Listen, the point of this thread is to see what departments are buying 3 years later. What vehicles departments liked and disliked. I was sad to see the crown Vic leave. Even if it was outdated, it served it's purpose well and most departments liked them. I find a lot of places having trouble picking new vehicles.

But like I said, I don't see any caprices. I actually did see one today in Hartford. A Hartford cop was driving an unmarked one with New York plates

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
NYSP & local Sheriff are mostly Tahoes. A few local PDs still have Vics and a handful of chargers.

Vast majority is the Tahoe.

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
We are going from all Crown Vic's to all Tahoes, which makes everyone happy. We couldn't sacrifice any vehicle with less space. Supposedly they are turning out to be comparable in price, they look awesome, and I've noticed better MPG's actually.

HPD84

May 16, 2010
City of Houston,Texas
Texas DPS-Still in testing phase of selecting a primary vehicle. They have been ordering mostly Tahoes and a few Chargers for now. The testing phase selection vehicle includes the new Interceptor and Utility. PER FLEET.

Houston PD-Still in testing phase of selecting a primary vehicle. Switched over to Black and White scheme. They have NOT made a decision on which vehicle will be used. Including Tahoe, Charger, Caprice ,Interceptor (NO Utility or Caprice). 90% of Fleet is Crown Vics and the newest vehicles purchased are 2011 CVPI's from last years budget "42" Shops.

Harris County SO-Mostly Chevrolet Impala's and a few Tahoes. There last big purchase were several hundred 2011 CVPI's.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
The cities around here for the most part all drive Impalas. There 2-3 that still have CVPIs, and there is one that has at least one Caprice. The Sheriff's Office has a variety of cars, still some CVPIs, Impalas, old Chargers, new Chargers, a few new Interceptor sedans and Tahoes for K9 units. It seems FHP is transitioning to all new Chargers.

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
Washington County, PA I have not seen one single Caprice, or even in the entire SW PA area. Mostly the new Fords both Interceptor and Utility. Some Chargers. City of Washington's entire fleet is Chargers, new and older, with a few new Ford Utilitys.

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
Mostly Chargers, some Fords, and I think I've seen one Chevy.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Ohio State Patrol is going to silver Chargers from the CVPI.

Our county sheriff recently placed 5 new Chargers in service but still have a ton of CVPI's. They initially ordered 4 Chargers and an Interceptor Utility but cancelled the Interceptor Utility. They run Impalas for detectives.

The local police has 3 Interceptor Utility's and an Interceptor Sedan. They believe the Utility is the way they will go in the future once all CVPI's are phased out.

Not too many Caprices in service around here.

Tlauden

Apr 3, 2011
Halifax, PA
From what I've heard the pa state police are going to be switching to the new fords. But for now they still have vics as a majority of the fleet. At least here in central pa.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Columbus Police are field testing several cars. PD in my town has bought 2 Ford sedans. Sheriff has bought several Ford SUVs for patrol and a couple of Ford sedans for marked admin cars. Town I work in starting switching to Chargers several years ago; they still have a few CVPIs, a few 2013 Chargers, most of the fleet are 2011 Chargers. Town to the south of me has some CVPIs, Some 2010 Chargers, and at least 2 Caprices.

JediTalen

Jun 19, 2011
Bummertown, WA
Seattle, Bremerton and WSP are buying Chevys, Kitsap County is in Interceptors and Mason County WA, is in Chargers. Of the three the Officers I interact with (mostly EVOC training Officers and Traffic division types) prefer the Interceptor. The Interceptor is also the hands-down choice for officers over 6'1".

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Dallas PD-Still running last body Impala's, and both body style Chargers for patrol and traffic. SWAT and Commercial Vehicle running Tahoe's.

Dallas County SO-Still running CVPI's, some NBS Chargers, Explorers, Caprice, and Tahoes.

Grand Prairie PD-Still running CVPI's with the rainbow stripe, B/W CVPI's, and slowly going Tahoe.

Other cities are running LBS and NBS Chargers, CVPI's, Caprice, lots of Tahoe's, and some Explorers. No Tauruses have been spotted, nor on RFB's.

Miller88

Jan 24, 2012
USA Houston TX
I know the question is which new vehicles are in my area, and the short answer is all of them but the long answer is this:

Oklahoma City PD: Mostly CVPIs, but they took delivery of a bunch of black Tauruses. There's also the occasional full sized van caddy-wagon.

Oklahoma County Sheriffs office: Mostly Chargers, but they have a few Tahoes both mid and late 2000s style, and a few odd balls like their Dodge 3500, a Ford mustang, Dodge Challenger, and a Chevy Camaro (all 3 donated by a Dentist).

Oklahoma Highway patrol: Chargers mostly, everyone else gets Tahoes, but there are a few leftover CVPIs

Midwest City PD: Chevy Impalas (old style and new style) and Chevy Caprices. I think they have a Tahoe as well.

Spencer PD: CVPIs and one Tahoe

Nicoma Park PD: Chevy Caprices

Valley Brook PD: CVPIs

Choctaw PD: CVPIs

Del City PD: CVPIs are Primary but they have a Chevy Impala, a Ford expedition, a Tahoe, and a Dodge Intrepid (what were they thinking?)

Dept. of Homeland Security: Suburbans

US Marshals service: not sure about their entire fleet but I had contact with a US Marshall driving a CVPI

I'm sure there are others...

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
Going with what you all contributed...

It seems as thought the Ford is in first place for vehicles being used. Chargers are second and then the caprice is last.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.