Which Siren: SOS 380R or Star LCS850MG?

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
I'm trying to decide what siren to put in my next vehicle. I want a dual-tone siren and will need lighting controls also.

Currently looking at a SoundOffSignal 380R and a Star/SVP LCS850MG.

Opinions? Recommendations? Recipes?

SoundOff 380 Series Remote Dual Tone Siren - ETSA380R - Remote / Undercover Sirens

(I'm borrowing J. Forbes's info page, as I can't get SOS's website to load tonight)

Model LCS850MG - Unistar Command Center 200 Watt - Star Headlight & Lantern Company - Police, Fire & Emergency Products

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
Any idea how close the Star tones are to the older SS741MG?

I loved that siren.

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
They are both excellent systems. I am running a first generation 380R and it is an awesome siren. It has been improved by SOS and now has siren scroll, backlight dimming, additional tones and other improvements. I still love mine and the tone combinations and choices are excellent.

The Star unit is very similar in features but SOS has more tones, IIRC. I do think the Star systems are a bit easier to wire up and are well thought out.

Can't really go wrong.

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
NotNormalEnterprisesLLC said:
I can try to make a video later tonite or tomorrow of the star

There are a few good youtube vids of the star. I haven't seen a whole lot of the SOS.

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
ryanm said:
There are a few good youtube vids of the star. I haven't seen a whole lot of the SOS.

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr351/C2Installs/th_DSCF1843.jpg[/URL]

Quick run through of the tones I selected...Alert A/B (IIRC), Wail1/2, Yelp 1/2, Piercer, Airhorn 2/4 (IIRC). All are in dual tone mode. I have been extremely please running to calls and with the Rumbler it is a great set-up. Both speakers are SOS 100H...their "budget" speaker.

BTW, when I hit the airhorn with the Rumbler activated it sounds like a freaking train coming. Just badass.

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
C2Installs said:
Quick run through of the tones I selected...Alert A/B (IIRC), Wail1/2, Yelp 1/2, Piercer, Airhorn 2/4 (IIRC). All are in dual tone mode. I have been extremely please running to calls and with the Rumbler it is a great set-up. Both speakers are SOS 100H...their "budget" speaker.

BTW, when I hit the airhorn with the Rumbler activated it sounds like a freaking train coming. Just badass.

Thanks!! That helped.

I loved the Alert A/B and the airhorn 2/4.

I definitely want the rumbler, but not sure its in the initial budget.

On the SOS, can you advance just one of the tones? That was a feature I liked about the star.

Be in wail/wail, hit manual and advance to wail/yelp? or yelp/yelp to yelp/phaser?

My old car sounded like 3 cars running down the road.

2 of us running sounded like a whole fleet.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.