While you have the front grill off.

djmcfall

Nov 10, 2010
Filer, Idaho
Over the years with the Idaho State Police we would over heat the engine while running code with the AC on in the hot summer temps. Some times it required an engine over haul if the trooper did not get it cooled down in time. Further inspection revealled the radiator filled with bugs and weeds from crossing the median with the tall dry grass. Here is what we did to fix the problem, once and for all.

Go to Lowes and purchase a roll of 3 ft wide aluminum screen. Measure from the top of the radiator to the lower cross member below the radiator, then add a couple inches. Use your old scissors, or buy a pair of the mechanic scissors at Harbor Frieght for about a buck, and cut a length of screen from your roll. After you have mounted the siren speaker, led lights, and/or other items in the grill area route the screen from the top down, trying to stay in front of the speaker, and out the bottom in front of the radiator. Using either factory screws and brackets, tie wraps, or your own screws with washers, secure the screen in place. Normally one screen will last the cycle of the vehicle, but if it does not and gets torn up, just replace it with another sheet of screen. The screen will rarely require cleaning, as the bugs and weeds will just fall down in time, or when you go through the car wash the debrie will be washed off. The radiator will remain clear of this debrie for the life of the vehicle. The good news is that the screen will restrict very little air flow. We have tested this and trust me, the reduction in air flow does not even come close to the restriction a radiator full of cheet grass exhibits. Installers can do this for little $ as after you do a couple it will only take about ten minutes to do, while you have the front opened up for the install. It may save the department $5K down the road for a rebuilt engine exchange. Good luck. Doug

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
Normal window screen cuts airflow by about 50%, but you can afford it, especially if it keeps stuff from jamming between the fins of the condenser and radiator.

Grotonems5

Jun 1, 2010
Groton, Vermont
SoloRTP said:
Normal window screen cuts airflow by about 50%, but you can afford it, especially if it keeps stuff from jamming between the fins of the condenser and radiator.

Window screen cuts air flow 50% clean and new or all jammed up with stuff? I like the idea of protecting the radiator fins but 50% seems like a lot of cooling compromise...

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
That's very useful information! Would you, by any chance, have any images either of the installation or after-pictures?

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Grotonems5 said:
Window screen cuts air flow 50% clean and new or all jammed up with stuff? I like the idea of protecting the radiator fins but 50% seems like a lot of cooling compromise...

No, you wouldnt use window screen. There is aluminum screen that is like chicken wire with smaller holes. Ace sells it bulk by the yard.

dovy6

May 18, 2011
Brooklyn
Believe the stuff you're talking about is what contractors call "wire mesh". It's put down on your subfloor with the cement under tile, for concrete pouring, and other stuff. Its good stuff, and relatively cheap. Spaces are about 1" or so which would block grass and other sh** without compromising air flow too much.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
I think 1" mesh is a little big...

My grandparents always has a second layer of screen on their back door but it was much thicker and the squares were about 3/8"- it helped strengthen the screen from being pushed out when kids would push on the screen instead of the door. It sounds like that's what you're talking about- durable, with holes that will catch debris but not restrict airflow as much as a regular screen.

jetstream1

Nov 17, 2010
IN
I drive a Volvo semi tractor that has window type aluminum screen behind the grill and has no adverse effects on cooling, they wouldn't put that much restriction on cooling on a large truck pulling 80000 pounds, so no it doesnt restrict 50%. i even have put screen on my ford f150 with no diff in cooling temps. you can find window screen at your hardware store in black fiberglas as well.

firecop604

Dec 11, 2010
MD
I've used the black fiberglass screen for this before but more for hiding grill lights and siren. When it is in place behind the grill it is a "factory" look and not at all out of place. It also does an AWESOME job of concealing the lights and speaker. Turn the lights on and the screen just disappears! :thumbsup:

SPMRC

Jun 10, 2011
Lubbock, Texas
They have this stuff made of stainless steel for off road drivers, even stones can't get through it, I don't know where to buy t here.

I could tell you where to buy it in Germany if you need it.

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
We applied the same concept to the radiator in our micro-sprint race car years ago, to keep mud off the fins and keep it relatively efficient. The wire mesh was rather coarse--about ¼" holes in general--and it was enough to keep 90% of the "track" off of the radiator itself.

Window screen would work, but might be a little restrictive for some radiators (but most should have a fan behind them anyway, pulling air from the other side).

GaryErrol

May 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Do a Google search for Grille Screens, you'll find a lot of listings. You probably can find some at your local automotive parts store. While they are way more expensive than simply purchasing screen and making your own, this would give you an idea of what size screen to use.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.