Who made the best rotating halogen dash light?

mr. awesome

Dec 27, 2010
Queens, NY
The title says it all, who made the best rotating dash light? I sold my Dash master and I'm now looking for a nice halogen rotator, ideally firebeam or dashlaser-like with multi flash mirror, however it is not a deal-breaker if the light is incredibly bright. My question is, what am I looking for? Is the cadet any good?

Reactions: southpaw

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I like the Cadets if you can find the Mirrors to go around it, super bright and fast.... though I have had the Firebeam in ocillator ( Sp ) Version for split colors... lost it to a friend when he quit the company we were working for and never returned it..

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Firebeam all the way. The Cadet is nice but much smaller than FB or dash laser. The hotshot II was pretty bright as well. Adding the mirrors helps with flashback too.

Reactions: southpaw and FCV96

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
The most 'effective' halogen light Ive used is one of the Code 3 Dash Lasers I own.
Its not the common one with the translucent top and bezel, but rather all black with a metal base. (to me the common Dash Laser isn't nearly as bright/effective as the one with the metal base, the reflector seems different).

It uses the same output bulb as the most of the rest, but the way the reflector is fully filled and focuses the light, in addition to the slower speed, makes it appear brighter than anything else Ive seen or used including Firebeams, Fireballs, Responders, etc.

Last edited:

BLUELIGHT

Jul 7, 2018
Hendersonville NC
In decending order, Firebeam, Dash Laser, Fire Ball Halogen, Hotshot II, Fireball2, Responder, Cadet. Those available with mirrors, especially the ones that allows the use of color and white, are a full order of magnitude better than the ones without. Probably best bang for your buck is the Dash Laser with a mirror. I didn't rate the Magnabeam due to rarity and cost. Some of these allow roof use, which is a plus, especially on scene.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
i just took out my responder, appears theres corrosion or loss of copper on the copper of the rotator, what can I use on that if the contact is causing it, maybe dialectric grease?

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Dashlaser-M over Firebeam everyday and twice on Sunday. The Firebeam and mirror have an entirely impractical footprint compared to the Dashlaser-M.
If you don't need a mirror go with the Cadet, IMO the horizontal bulb and reflector project a warning signal identical to a rotating sealed beam.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Correct, the brand is Premier Hazard. I can't find a U. S. supplier.
I checked Premier Hazard’s catalogue and the 880 is permanent mount and 880M is magnetic mount.
They are available in amber, blue, ECE blue, red and green.
ECE-R65 approved so that means high speed rotator. They did not tell what speed.
Have you contacted ECCO to see if they can order one for you on special order?
Or maybe someone in Europe are able to help you out if you want one.

Michael

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
dmathieu,
Regarding the MagnaBeam, I have one of the last available from Federal when it still was able to order.
I got the version with side mounted reflector instead of the front mounted one.
Can you tell me which one is the most effective, if you know?
Front oscillating or side oscillating.
I have not been able to compare.

Michael

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
dmathieu,
Thank you for your answer.
Yes, I know all this but I was not sure if the lens shape did something with the effect of the beam.
I have a FireBeam with mirror, clear lens and split red/blue lenses.
It very easy to change lenses between these lights.

Michael

Reactions: BLUELIGHT

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I still have my red, blue and Black cover for the magnabeam, Wish I still had it it made a great traffic clearing sweep light.. wish they had made a sideways reflector to it that would definately have added to its presence.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
im actually considering making a reflector for my responder but would it be better to use metal and spray the reflectors Chrome to reflect the light ( should weigh less then the original Plastic/Lexan material they used originally ).

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
you know thinking about it... isnt the newer version ( cadet ) a little taller but not as wide at the top as the responder was even all the way around...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.