Who made the best rotating halogen dash light?

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Nope, I've never seen it marketed for the Cadet. It will fit close enough to work though. If you find a catalog or product bulletin stating otherwise, I'm always open to learning.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Five-0 light, and Federal Fireball with a pie of IV tubing on the motor shaft.
-What is the purpose of that?
To increase the flash rate.

Michael
”To increase the flash rate.”

I tried to put in two quotes in my previous reply, which did not work.

Michael
Federal sold a high speed motor for the newer Fireball, that was really the same motor with a brass bushing pressed on the motor shaft. This served to increase the diameter of the shaft, and since it pressed on the rubber ring on the rotator, spun it faster. We used IV tubing instead.

We also used a piece of 5/8 heater hose over the pulley on the Federal Powerlight and the CJ284 light. Put the drive belt over the hose on the pulley also increased the speed. Virginia State Police did this a lot.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
How about the dash mount oscilaser? Any good?
I do not know of it used on the dash but two in the rear window is good.
They move up and down from side to side.
A friend of mine that was in the Montana Highway Patrol back in 1996 had two in the back window of his unmarked unit.
I bought two after I saw these.

On the dash to the front I should suggest Federal TDL-DM (Meteor).
It moves straight in one direction but up and down in the other direction which gives a better coverage than a light that only moves up and down.
I do not know how easy these are to get today or to what cost.

I am glad I have two of them, one red and one blue.
I got some spare lenses free of charge from Federal once so I have one clear and one amber lens too.

Michael

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
Additionally, I figure PowerArc should be mentioned as a contemporary option. Though they're not fully rotating, their oscillating dashlights seem to be pretty bright judging from what I've heard and found on YouTube.

Reactions: fireglen

BLUELIGHT

Jul 7, 2018
Hendersonville NC
im actually considering making a reflector for my responder but would it be better to use metal and spray the reflectors Chrome to reflect the light ( should weigh less then the original Plastic/Lexan material they used originally ).
You can get adhesive backed silver mylar film which would be better at reflecting light than chrome paint. Check eBay.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
id Love to Rehab my Reflectors on my Strobes and Rotating Light lenses and Halogen modules.... would Silver or Chrome paint be the better way to go ??? Esp since the bulbs are not removeable i have to work on taping or covering them before hand

Reactions: southpaw

BLUELIGHT

Jul 7, 2018
Hendersonville NC
id Love to Rehab my Reflectors on my Strobes and Rotating Light lenses and Halogen modules.... would Silver or Chrome paint be the better way to go ??? Esp since the bulbs are not removeable i have to work on taping or covering them before hand
Paint will never be as reflective as a metal, plastic, or mylar surface.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Paint will never be as reflective as a metal, plastic, or mylar surface.

But then what are you supposed to do to get your old reflectors back up to snuff?? I would think Paint of a Silver or Chrome type would be the best replacement of the original setup...

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
but the best dash light is the light between your ears. And.. well a steady illuminated red lamp--hard to beat also....

Now you're talking my language :)

Ive always though one of the most effective warning lights ever is a plain ole steady red pillar light, between the power and the placement they are ridiculously effective .
Ive run one on my personal F150's for many many years, when Whelen released their white/red combo light I couldn't resist and swapped one in. It absolutely rocks! I also run a pair of fixed red Par46 on the brush bar but when the next one burns out Ill likely swap in the Whelen led kit.

OP....have you considered running a pillar light?
Whelen does make one in blue, both steady and their 'warning' flash.
Used spotlight housing are pretty cheap if your vehicle will accommodate.
Youll get better performance than any dash light.

http://www.whelen.com/auto/product.php?cat_id=74&prod_id=516

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
We had a thread discussing refurbing mirrors before. The best that I have found was to have exact size glass mirror cut and glued to the old mirror. There is no better reflector than this. Curved rotator reflectors is a whole different situation.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I have to agree with several above. But from my limited experience I have to say the Dashlaser with the mirror is the most effective light I have seen. S&W Pancake number two. Really out flashes in brightness my Fireballs. I used the S&W for many years and never had a problem. If it had the dashlaser type mirror it would win as No. 1.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Now you're talking my language :)

Ive always though one of the most effective warning lights ever is a plain ole steady red pillar light, between the power and the placement they are ridiculously effective .
Ive run one on my personal F150's for many many years, when Whelen released their white/red combo light I couldn't resist and swapped one in. It absolutely rocks! I also run a pair of fixed red Par46 on the brush bar but when the next one burns out Ill likely swap in the Whelen led kit.

OP....have you considered running a pillar light?
Whelen does make one in blue, both steady and their 'warning' flash.
Used spotlight housing are pretty cheap if your vehicle will accommodate.
Youll get better performance than any dash light.

http://www.whelen.com/auto/product.php?cat_id=74&prod_id=516

Darley used to sell a red lens, plastic, with springs that fit over the spotlight. Used one to augment the red Beacon Ray on old rescue zone car I used to drive, mid 80s.

CAPTAIN 58

Feb 10, 2017
Drexel hill pa
My opinion ...good old fashioned southern vp teardrop light. With the dash laser coming in at a close 2nd

mr. awesome

Dec 27, 2010
Queens, NY
Bit of an update, I ordered from VSS a brand new DashLaser M. Apparently, they have these in stock in many configurations, according to their website.

http://www.vehiclesafetysupply.com/code-dashlaserm-beacon-g-6787.html?cPath=1_4_850

I also ordered the RB Kit, for the mirror stickers to allow for a colored flash from the mirror.

My plan is to remove the blue half filter from the light itself and use the RB Kit to turn the mirror blue, producing an inverse flash, where the mirror will produce 4 blue flashes and the beacon will produce one white flash.

What do we think about this? Anyone seen anything similar? Does it work out?

The RB kit was only 11 bucks so its no great loss if it's wrong.

I dont think I've ever seen a DashLaser with this type of configuration.

Reactions: FCV96

BLUELIGHT

Jul 7, 2018
Hendersonville NC
Bit of an update, I ordered from VSS a brand new DashLaser M. Apparently, they have these in stock in many configurations, according to their website.

http://www.vehiclesafetysupply.com/code-dashlaserm-beacon-g-6787.html?cPath=1_4_850

I also ordered the RB Kit, for the mirror stickers to allow for a colored flash from the mirror.

My plan is to remove the blue half filter from the light itself and use the RB Kit to turn the mirror blue, producing an inverse flash, where the mirror will produce 4 blue flashes and the beacon will produce one white flash.

I believe the M series is the fast version. If it flashes too fast, you can wire a 50 ohm (or thereabouts) 2 watt resistor in series with the motor. This will slow the flash rate down to around half +/-.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
The Dashlaser was available in standard 100FPM, and fast 200FPM speeds. Fast had F in the part number. Pretty sure the "M" designated light with mirror kit, not the speed.

mr. awesome

Dec 27, 2010
Queens, NY
I will see when it gets here, shipping woes. The company is located on the same island I'm on, yet, no dashlaser. The description reads that the light makes 500 fpm, so without the mirror it sounds like the 100 fpm version, but we will see!

I am going to make a video of the unboxing and me playing with the lens and the mirror colors. I hope the RB Kit has enough blues to satisfy my little plan.

Reactions: BLUELIGHT

BLUELIGHT

Jul 7, 2018
Hendersonville NC

Did you get the sticker kit? I ordered a couple several weeks ago and so far have received nothing.

mr. awesome

Dec 27, 2010
Queens, NY
hey all, sorry for the lack of updates!

So the order from VSS ended up being a total bust. not to mention a month's wait to even get the order cancelled! what a nightmare!

the light wasn't in stock, they couldn't find one. the stickers as well. i wouldn't recommend ordering through there any more.

i did get from ebay a firebeam with the mirror, in blue and amber. it came with the mounting plate with suction cups for the windshield. i got the light in pretty rough shape, but not to worry.

a little lexan restorer for the three lenses, new suction cups for the bracket, and some mirror vinyl for the multi flash mirror, all from amazon, and she is good as new and in active service now.

i took the amber half lens off and put the blue half lens to the rear of the light, rather than the front. This makes the main flash white, with 4 blue flashes to the front, instead of 4 white flashes. a really neat side effect of this is having a big white pop at the intersection angles.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLUELIGHT

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.