Who made these deck strobes? ('90's vintage)

FHP SSP

Jul 5, 2010
I will be needing these units for a resto, but no one in the SSP Mustang community knows who made them. They are thought to be Federal Signal but that is a hunch. Anyone recognize these?

TroopL1994.jpg

FHPSSPMakeready.jpg

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Whelen single DashMasters. Too bad you aren't a year or two previous. I sold some genuine ex-FHP units on here for cheap.

FHP SSP

Jul 5, 2010
Those are Dashmasters? I have a few single Dashmasters but the ones pictured look different, a little bigger, and have a metal stand that bolts on to the sides of the housing.

SSgt Elmer

May 21, 2010
NE WI, USA
Doing a resto? At last year's Iola car show in WI there was a FHP SSP mustang for sale. It would be cool to have one.

FHP SSP

Jul 5, 2010
Yes, yes I am. If I could find a set of these strobes and a JSS lightbar controller I'll have everything!

FHP SSP

Jul 5, 2010
Here is another pic of them, if you look close, they have a red and white logo printed on the edge of the housing. Is the Code3 logo red and white?

1994TroopK.jpg

FHP SSP

Jul 5, 2010
Eric, what does the logo say on the sides? I can see it in my in-service pics but can't make it out. Can you post a pic of the side of yours? Thanks!

FHP SSP

Jul 5, 2010
I have the unit number, but not sure on the troop yet. Guess I need to try and find that out! I actually have two of these cars right now, one has been repainted black, but the other one is completely original, still has the black spray paint over the tan from the auction.

FHP SSP

Jul 5, 2010
Uman, you are the man! Thanks for posting that. I think the double is the D2 and the single I presume would have been a D1? Now, I just need to find two D1's.........

Uman18

Jun 2, 2010
Port Hueneme, CA
FHP SSP said:
Uman, you are the man! Thanks for posting that. I think the double is the D2 and the single I presume would have been a D1? Now, I just need to find two D1's.........

That is correct, they were made in 1,2,3 and 4 head version.

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
Pimp, I'll back your post up. The FHP did use single head Dashmasters on the Mustang rear decks at one time, and as I recall it was in the mid to late 80s, but obviously they must have changed to the Federals at some point.

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
ERIC6913 said:
i can confirm. federal signal single lamp director series lights. here is a pic of mine:
ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_D1.jpg

I can't tell you how many of those I just recently threw away after on of our locations closed....and they were all NOS.....sigh.........

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Why would anyone throw anything away when a simple "Free!!! (plus shipping)" post on this board gets rid of anything?

FHP SSP

Jul 5, 2010
NOOOOOOOOO! That ebay link sold yesterday! THAT was what I needed, 2 NOS ones with all hardware!

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
FHPSSP, that eBay seller often sells different types of lighting, plus his auction says he has more lights available, so just ask. He is in Florida too, so that's a bonus for you on getting cheaper shipping or going to see him personally if he is fairly close to you. Give him a shout, it can't hurt, and he might have some extras you can get cheap.

And cajunblitz, please don't file 13 anything, especially NOS stuff. That's such a waste and makes many of us on the board ill just to think about it. If you have some lighting related things you don't want anymore, just throw them in a box and I'll make a trip down there to get them in exchange for covering your lunch, breakfast, snack, or whatever.....

FHP SSP

Jul 5, 2010
Yeah, I emailed the guy, and no response in almost a week. I was hoping the auction just expired due to time, as opposed to all stock being sold, but I don't know if there is a way to tell.

Lightbarnut

Jun 9, 2010
Palatka, Florida.
I guess it's time for me to throw my two cents in.I have a genuine! (not repro from a collector) FHP Jetsonic that still has the property tag on the inside from the DHSMV(Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles).I also know two generations of Troopers(grandfather & grandson) and five different current troopers.Just wanted to say that to qualify that I know what I'm talking about.As far as deck lights for Crown Vic,Caprice,Mustangs,etc.,FHP used Whelen single Dashmasters,early Federal Signal single strobes that were made by Tomar,as already stated the Federal Signal Director single series lights,etc.Troopers were pretty well free to put whatever lights they wanted in their personal cars.I've seen in-service pics of the above named car models with Whelen Dual Dashmasters and SVP pancake lights on the dash,as well as blue and red Dashmasters mounted to the headliner in mustangs of the time,and that was twenty plus years before they officialy went to red and blue!Also,the sirens used in the cars where Federal Signal PA-300 or Whelen WS-295. And no,the authentic Jetsonic is not for sale,as they are to rare.I have not seen another one,on the internet or elsewhere.

FHP SSP

Jul 5, 2010
Lightbar, nice info. I think the Jet I have is genuine too, it shipped from Florida and it has the residue on one of the mirrors from a DHSMV property tag, you can still partially read it. I'm glad you replied, however, I'd love to pick your brain for any restoration details for the FHP mustangs that's not already common knowledge, or for any in-service pics not already on the websites. Also, for what it's worth, I'd love to find any accessories for restoration purposes that are period specific, such as first aid kits, stick-on calendars (may settle for a current one), radio code legend (that went on the visor), "cowboy" hat, jacket, and any other item that may have been used around 1992.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.