Why are these relays in my lightbar?

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
force_4-1.JPG force_4-1.JPG I bought this Code 3 Force 4 mini (the ones that look like a SD model) off of ebay. I saw what looked like code 3 headlight flashers in the bar, and was expecting to receive a mess with rotators that wouldn't turn, and headlight flashers to blink the lights.

To my surprise, the rotators light up and turn, but the Code 3 stingray II relays don't look like any I've seen before. If I unplug a relay, that light stops spinning.

On the side of the relay it says:

1 Battery negative
2 Rear only
3 2 and 3 full circle
4 2 & 4 OR 2 & 3 & 4 front fast

Can anyone tell me more about this light, and how it functions?

Attachments

• force_4-2.JPG
    force_4-2.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Reactions: NVFD612

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
...On the side of the relay it says:

1 Battery negative
2 Rear only
3 2 and 3 full circle
4 2 & 4 OR 2 & 3 & 4 front fast

Can anyone tell me more about this light, and how it functions?
If everything is ok and you put + 12V on pin 2 - the rotatator should oscillate backwards. If you put +12V to Pin 2+3 it should rotate (just like a normal rotator). And if you put +12V to Pin 2+4 or 2+3+4 the rotator should oscillate frontwards (faster than backwards)

And if something ist different or dont't work - mostly the stingray controller is bad.

Based on the screw driven straight through the relay...I'm gonna say homebrew hack job
No, that's the normal way to hold it in position!

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for the info. I think I'll see if I can rewire it so you can choose between having it rotate, or oscillate to the rear.

I'll have to find the right switch so I can toggle up to rotate, or down to oscillate to the rear.

I also need to find some cylinder style filters.

I'm excited to see what I can put together.

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
Is the LP6000 1/2 cylinder filters the right filter to fit these lights? I know it has that style filter on it, but I haven't seen Force 4 or LP6000 filters in person to know if they're the same. I can't really find Force 4 filters listed on line, but I can find the LP6000.

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
3-position slide switch will work to do the functions. A neighboring PD had the LP6000 in red/blue with stingrays in the middle of the regular rotators. Position one on the slide switch was to sting rays to the rear oscillating slow. Position 2 was all 6 lights rotating and position 3 was fast oscillating to the front with other 4 rotators going. Cool bar for the time - pre-MX. Another town had LP6000 with Strobes- reflector between rotators and rear flashers - clear domes.

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
Is the LP6000 1/2 cylinder filters the right filter to fit these lights?...
Yes they are (just for the stingrays) the right ones.
...I know it has that style filter on it, but I haven't seen Force 4 or LP6000 filters in person to know if they're the same...
The Stingray-Rotators are LP-Bar parts and were monted in the SD and XL Force4 Bars with a(this) adapter brackets. They were also used with standard or fast LP-Rotators if you want different colors for front and back.
As I know there are no cylindrical Filter exisiting for the SD and XL style Bars.
... I can't really find Force 4 filters listed on line, but I can find the LP6000.
Such like this? (for example)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Code-3-LP...hash=item35b26dbd13:m:mwbnMRtItb7-34KiYj8ufZw

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Based on the screw driven straight through the relay...I'm gonna say homebrew hack job

Not so much.. I have a few sets of these stingrays and they all have a screw in the middle like that.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Is the LP6000 1/2 cylinder filters the right filter to fit these lights? I know it has that style filter on it, but I haven't seen Force 4 or LP6000 filters in person to know if they're the same. I can't really find Force 4 filters listed on line, but I can find the LP6000.

Yes they are..
There are 2 types of rotators that the LP series bar used.. look up LP6000 for any parts not Force 4.. you will get confused.

Code 3 still makes lenses and filters for this bar.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
The Stingrays are pretty cool. It was the rotator answer to rear only or front only that were wanted or required by departments.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.