Why did Code 3.......

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
.....make their SD (& xl) lightbar with the 120 degree offset inner rotators?

They have the normal 180 bulbs typically on the outside rotator, then the 120's with usually only two bulbs (although I have seen some that had 3 bulbs on the 120 rotator.

So what was the purpose of this?
It seems pointless and would add cost to production having to make/stock the two different styles

Also, why did they usually only bulb two of the positions on the 120 rotator instead of all three?

o_O

Reactions: OliverD and Mndlm
Similar to the explanation FedSig gave for the dwell flash of the 174 Super BeaconRay...the "pause" of the irregular flash pattern gave the eye a moment to "adjust" to the lack of active light output (pupil expands) making the next flash appear brighter. Unfortunately, the driver/passenger sides of the bar were not synchronized so the brightness effect was minimalized. I called it a synchronized random flash pattern--or the appearance of multiple beacons...it was still effective.

Lyle

Oct 28, 2012
Maine
LOVE the SDs......
I own 2 XLs and give off a 'custom' type of flash pattern that sets the Code 3s apart from others.

ex416

Apr 28, 2011
West Central Wisconsin
although I have seen some that had 3 bulbs on the 120 rotator.

Also, why did they usually only bulb two of the positions on the 120 rotator instead of all three?

the three bulb rotators were used by Code 3 with special options on the sd and xl models. some collectors themselves have modified the two bulb 120 degree holders into three bulb rotator assemblies to increase the flash output.

Last edited:

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
the three bulb rotators were used by Code 3 with special options on the sd and xl models. some collectors themselves have modified the two bulb 120 degree holders into three bulb rotator assemblies to increase the flash output.

Like this dude here....he customized a 36" Code 3 XL to 3-bulb holders. Amazing light output...but absolute carnage on an alternator if installed on a vehicle o_O !

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Speaking of alternators, the old NYC EMS ambulances in the 1980's used the sealed beam XL "triple threat" models with 12 sealed beams in each bar. When the truck was at idle they dimmed down and ran slowly due to the ridiculous lighting load - they also had a sealed beam minibar on the back with another 4 bulbs and halogen flashers on the box, grill & fenders.
4860223193_d8f5742103_b.jpg

Reactions: FCV96

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Speaking of alternators, the old NYC EMS ambulances in the 1980's used the sealed beam XL "triple threat" models with 12 sealed beams in each bar. When the truck was at idle they dimmed down and ran slowly due to the ridiculous lighting load - they also had a sealed beam minibar on the back with another 4 bulbs and halogen flashers on the box, grill & fenders.
4860223193_d8f5742103_b.jpg
I'm sure lots and lots of alternators were replaced on those trucks....and made a few shop guys go bonkers over it too, LOL.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Like this dude here....he customized a 36" Code 3 XL to 3-bulb holders. Amazing light output...but absolute carnage on an alternator if installed on a vehicle o_O !

The guy who built this bar is a Friend of mine.. if you think this is an amp hog.. I sent him a frame for a 72 and I think he either completed, or is process of completion on that one.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
The center section had only a Stinger TCL in it, and the rotators were parabolic. I'm pretty sure that they didn't have any with sealed beam rotators.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
The guy who built this bar is a Friend of mine.. if you think this is an amp hog.. I sent him a frame for a 72 and I think he either completed, or is process of completion on that one.
God-dang! That'll be an alternator genocide lightbar right there!

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
If I recall, the parabolic rotators (Force 4 XL bars) came later in the 1980's. First they had 2 parabolic rotator XL minibars mounted on brackets to both sides of the front wall of the box above the cab, with an air conditioner unit in between. Later they had ambulances and GMC Jimmys with full size 52 inch Force 4 XL bars with parabolic reflectors, mounted on the cab roof, which were damn bright. But before all that they had the triple unit Code 3 XL's that very definitely used sealed beam rotators. I can remember taking note that the end rotators were r/w and 180 degrees apart, while the ones next to them were r/w 120 degrees apart like the top of this thread. It was the first time I'd ever seen that arrangement so it stuck in my head. You may be right about the Stinger in the center though, was a long time ago. But the alternator at idle was a joke when it was all lit up, guess they had to scrimp on $$$ somewhere.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I've got an sd and xl9k, and have tinkered with some twinsonics. The C3 versions have the offbeat flash pop that you don't see with the sonic.

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
Off-beat eye catching flash pattern.

Is that actually how they marketed them?
I was thinking maybe it was an option type deal depending on the electrical capabilities of the vehicle or some such. But just guessing.

Asking because I found a NOS XL 9000 that had been mostly gutted for parts. Ive started looking for parts to get it going and had never noticed the 180 & 120 rotators they used on the SD/XL series.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Probably switched the polarity of the motor on one side.

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
No issues that I've found. I have done it in many bars, even independent style rotators. ie streethawk, LP6000 xl.

Any guess on how many hours have you run that SD motor & gearbox in reverse?

I have a line on a pair of motor-drives that are supposedly brand new spares, I would love to run one in reverse as in your video but would be paranoid about causing damage. I know permanent magnet motors can be reversed along with certain brushed motors, curious about the gear drive.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.