Why no 200 watt speakers?

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
Does anyone know why there aren't a lot of 200 watt speakers? The only one I know of is the fed sig BP200 thats costs $500. From what I understand, it goes (1) 200 watt speaker is the loudest, (2) 100 watt speakers is not as good, and (1) 100 watt speaker is the weakest. If a single 200 watt speaker is the loudest and most sirens now can support 200 watts, then why isn't there more than one speaker on the market?

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
The Federal is just 2 TS100 drivers packaged together into one bell and cone. (at least the old one I know of was) Might be better, but probably not worth it. I don't wee why everyone is obsessed with what I consider too much siren wattage when lights are so good now. Two regular 100 watt speakers are plenty in my opinion. Don't waste your money.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
May 22, 2010
Columbiana County, Ohio
www.atlassound.com has an adapter that you can add a second driver to any cone system.

So for example you get a fedsig ts100 here for 50 bucks, spend 20 on the adapter and pick up a second driver and poof you have the same set up that power call sirens wants 190 for ... and you did it yourself for under 100 bucks.

And some people want a 200 watt speaker due to space limitations like me and my ford ranger.

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
gman021 said:
This was to see the loudest. Im now curious on if its the loudest, then why arent there more of them. It's really strange that someone can't find a true 200 watt speaker anywhere, even when more than half the sirens out there support it. It's like if all computers supported USB 3.0, but no companies came out with devices for it. WHY NOT!

The conclusion from the previous 200w speaker thread was that a single 200w speaker is less effective than 2 100w speakers. What I meant to suggest was that the reduced effectiveness is why there aren't many 200w speakers....

Last edited by a moderator:

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
Well from what I understood a 200 watt speaker was the most effective, but (2) 100 watt speakers was safer because you have a back up speaker. STL has a 200 watt speaker, but from what I hear that company is garbage. Im guessing there is a small difference in the loudness between a 200 watt and (2) 100 watt speakers

May 22, 2010
Columbiana County, Ohio
Jared @ 911Lights said:
All the more reason to go with 2 100-Watt Speakers, 200-Watt Speakers are only available as cones are twice as deep as a slim 100 Watt Speaker. Usually depth, not grille area is the limiting factor, so 2 100-Watt Speakers should be much easier to mount.

-Jared

Ugh ... I give up on this subject

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
What it comes down to is pretty much every speaker manufactured has an 11 OHM driver for a 100 Watt speaker. If you want a 200 Watt speaker, then you need a driver rated at 5.5 OHMs.

Since there probably isn't much call for a single 200 Watt driver the manufactures aren't making a separate 5.5 Ohm driver to sit on the shelves and collect dust when they can use the same 11 Ohm driver in all of their speakers and then sell you 2.

Also if you look at the price difference between 2 Ohm, 4 Ohm and 8 Ohm stereo speakers, there really isn't much difference in price between the different levels, but then again there is the scale of quantity with stereo speakers.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.