WIG-WAG alternatives?

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
I'm still trying to get my Explorer set up the way I want it. I removed the wig-wag unit from the truck because A) it flashed 90fpm, which didn't let the bulb reach full brightness before it went out again, and B) it constantly caused the computer to tell me I had a headlight out (and yes, it was a solid-state unit that the brand-name manufacturer said would work). I've got Vertex (vertices?) in the driving lamps, and two Whelen TIR3s in the center top of the grill. All of those are white - the Vertex alternate, and the two TIR3s flash simultaneously.

But it still needs something large and white alternating at about 60fpm near the headlights to really catch someone's eyes as I approach. I'm considering two PAR-36LEDs in clear, mounted to the bumper just below and inside the head lights. Not sure what brand yet if anyone wants to make recommendations. I'm also thinking Tomar RECT-14s (since they don't make a RECT-16) beside each of the headlights in the grill. They ought to fit horizontally between the slats just fine.

Looking for pros and cons to each approach, as well as recommendations for bulbs. I'm leaning towards the Tomars because of the clear, non-fluted lenses. A microman 6 LED setup on either side would also probably work, now that I think of it. Only downside would be an external flasher as opposed to the built-in one on the Tomars, but then again I could have a 6 head unit on either side instead of a 4 head with the Ts.

Discuss.

TangoDown

May 22, 2010
Montana
Thought about auxillary off-road lamps or aftermarket fog lamps? They can be found for relatively cheap, and you could wire your W/W flasher directly to them. I've seen it done before and it is a very effective setup for long-range warning.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
If you go with off-road lamps, get some that will handle a minimum of a 55-watt H1 lamp. If you're crazy enough, try some that will accept a 100-watt H3 lamp.

Even if either of these lamps don't make it to full brightness at 90 FPM, they will still outshine your factory high beams.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Or LED Implement lapns, which are Par 36 style, and pretty rugged. Trucklite makes them. The US Military has them on alot of vehicles now.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I would go with Tomar Rect14's . I sold 8 of them to Truck26 on ELB for his new ride. They are very bright and made well with an internal flasher.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Can you get a different model flasher? One with a slower pattern that interfaces with your vehicle? It's one of the cheapest and best pieces of equipment for frontal warning.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.